Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't Look

Don’t Look

“And as Moses was lifted up in the wilderness, even so the son man must be lifted up that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:14-15

Do you remember the YOUR response when someone told you “don’t do this” or “don’t do that?” I don’t know what makes me do this, but when I was riding down the highway the other night, there was a car pulled over and behind him was a policeman with what had to be the brightest lights I have seen. It hurts the eye to look at the lights directly, but you find yourself doing just that.

Recently I had laser eye surgery and during the procedure the surgeon said, “Don’t look at the light.”  Guess what … I found myself trying to look at the light.

I wrote yesterday that I don’t like blood and gore. But anytime I have been near an accident or someone injured, my curiosity gets the best of me and I find myself looking.

I wonder what it must have been like at the Cross that day. All of the people who turned against my Savior – the ones that chose Barabbas to be set free rather than the Son of God. I can’t help but think that their eyes were drawn to the cross. Despite the bloody form of the One on that middle cross, their eyes were drawn to LOOK!

What did they see? What did they observe? Hymn writer-preacher, Isaac Watts penned these words:

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss, And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, save in the death of Christ, my God;
All the vain things that charm me most – I sacrifice them to His blood.

SEE [Look – Observe] from HIS head, His hands, His feet,
SORROW AND LOVE FLOW MINGLED DOWN;
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.

Maybe today is the day that YOU need to look to the Lamb of God – the One who has taken away the sins of the world. If you have never trusted Jesus Christ as YOUR Savior – today can be that day. If you would like to know more about a personal relationship with Jesus, respond to this email and I will be happy to send you some information. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 1 Chronicles 3-5; Psalm 101; Proverbs 19

Compass Pointers: The Cross of Christ is the heart of the Gospel. It takes the entire Bible to explain it. All our teaching must relate to that like all the spokes and rim and tires of a wheel relate to the axis. Jesus is the center, the pivot. Everything else will fit into place around Jesus. Indeed the entire word of God revolves around Him. If Christ is not the hub the wheel will wobble and break. Reinhard Bonnke

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 16:1; Level 2: Proverbs 16:1-7

Anchored to the Rock: None but praying leaders can have praying followers … we do greatly need somebody who can set the saints to this business of praying. E. M. Bounds

No comments: