Monday, April 18, 2011

It Was Gory -- There's No Way to Get Around It

It Was Gory – There’s No Way To Get Around It

“But He was wounded for OUR transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:6

Last Saturday we took a bus trip with some of our Keswick senior friends to Union City, NJ for the presentation of the Passion Play. This is the 97th year that they have been presenting this powerful drama at this inner city theater.

One of our travelers asked long-time believer if they were going, and the response was, “Oh no … I wouldn’t go. They make it all too gory. Why do they have to make it so gory?”

Stop and think about how foolish that response is. I don’t like gory movies. I don’t like to even look at blood. But it really is important for grasp just how much suffering and torment our blessed Savior went through the hours leading up to His crucifixion and then those horrific hours on the Cross. There’s no way to get around it – it was gory! It was awful. He was wounded for OUR transgressions – bruised and batter for OUR iniquities!  He did all of this so that sin could be taken care of once and for all – your sin. My sin. The sins of the world.\
One of the great songs about the cross which is hardly ever sung, expresses the pain and agony of our Savior …

O sacred Head, now wounded with grief and shame weighed down;
Now scornfully surrounded with thorns, Thine only crown.
How pale Thou art with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn;
How does that visage languish, which once was bright as morn!

What, Thou, my Lord, hast suffered was all for sinner’s gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior; ‘Tis I deserve Thy place.
Look on me with Thy favor; Assist me with Thy grace.

What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest Friend,
For this, Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever; And should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love for Thee!

It would be so easy to move through this week and have it be just like any other week. Just maybe, it would be good for us to think and contemplate intentionally this week about Him – the Cross – and His amazing love for you and me. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 1 Chronicles 1-2; Psalm 100; Proverbs 18

Compass Pointers: I lay my 'whys?' before Your cross in worship kneeling, my mind beyond all hope, my heart beyond all feeling; and worshipping, realize that I, in knowing You, don't need a 'why?' Ruth Bell Graham

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 16:1; Level 2: Proverbs 16:1-7

Anchored to the Rock: Prayer is the nearest approach to God and the highest enjoyment of Him that we are capable of in this life. William Law

No comments: