Sunday, October 18, 2009

Perfect Courtesy

Perfect Courtesy

"To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle. and to show perfect courtesy toward all people." Titus 3:2

You've been around them. They are the people that appear not only to be rude, but loud when they are being rude. The more people around them, the more they seem to enjoy humiliating the waitress, or someone the person who is providing a service to them.

Or they may be the one in the line at the grocery store, the bank, the post office that is loudly barking out their dissatisfaction about the slow service. Everyone knows they are frustrated.

They are the ones who see all the signs at the airport that clearly state that no water bottles can be in your possession when going through the security check. They ignore the sign, and when confronted go ballistic on the person that is trying to do their job.

We were visiting friends one evening at a retirement center, and they invited us for dinner. The servers were high school kids from the local community and they were really serving with excellence. For most of the meal, the man we were visiting complained, criticized, and was rude to the young man serving our table. This kid was really hustling and trying to do his best -- but NOTHING pleased our friend.

Shortly after he had blasted this kid, he made a statement, "We are having a very hard time keeping young people working at our facility." It was almost to comical to hear him say this, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to gently say, "Well, __________ if the folks here treat the servers like you treat them, I can see why you can't keep the help."

We live in a world where gentleness and courtesy seem to have been thrown out the window. We have become so ME oriented, that even we Christians have developed a mentality of entitlement.

Show a little bit of courtesy to people and you will be amazed at the impact it can have. Dr. John C. Maxwell and Zig Ziglar, two of my leadership mentors, suggest that we become salt and light by expressing to people our appreciation for the unnoticed tasks.

I was at a ballgame in Baltimore and had to use the rest room. I have never been to a stadium where the rest rooms are so immaculate. There was a young man cleaning the restroom who was really doing his job with excellence. I went over to him and thanked him for serving us by keeping the rest room so clean and neat. For a moment, he looked at me like I had four heads. Then he broke into a huge smile and said, "Thank you. No one has ever said that to me!"

One more suggestion for courtesy -- Christians should be known for being the greatest tippers rather than be the biggest cheap skates. One of my pet peeves is Christians who expect and demand good service in restaurants, and then leave, sometimes just leaving a gospel tract or a tip that isn't even 10%.

We attended our national CCCA (Christian Camps and Conference Association) convention. Hundreds of our camp personnel from across the country attend this event. We were in two restaurants, and being served with excellence by the Waite staff. We were blown away at how many of our camping friends got up from the table and didn't have the courtesy to even leave a tip. These are the same folks who serve people every weekend and get upset when their guests don't leave tips for the employees.

You can really make an impact on a life -- in fact, you can open up doors for sharing the gospel by simply doing what Paul commands -- Be gentle, and show perfect courtesy toward all people. Note that Paul doesn't say mediocre or minimal courtesy. He nails it be saying "perfect."

This little verse has given me much to think about. How about you? -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 18; Isaiah 53-55; 2 Thessalonians 1

Great Quote: I claim no right to myself - no right to this understanding, this will, these affections that are in me; neither do I have any right to this body or its members - no right to this tongue, to these hands, feet, ears, or eyes. I have given myself clear away and not retained anything of my own. I have been to God this morning and told Him I have given myself wholly to Him. I have given every power, so that for the future I claim no right to myself in any respect. I have expressly promised Him, for by His grace I will not fail. I take Him as my whole portion and felicity, looking upon nothing else as any part of my happiness. Jonathan Edwards

No comments: