Friday, February 06, 2009

Are You Running From God?

Are You Running From God

"But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord ..." Jonah 1:3

I had one of those really heart-wrenching experiences this afternoon. I attended the visitation for the viewing a friends who just lost their 20 year old son. It was one of the most difficult viewings that I have attended in a long time.

I had so many mixed emotions when I left the funeral home. But one thought really struck me, our friends would give anything to have their son back right now. And then I thought about my heavenly Father. How HE longs to have his sons who are running from Him return with all their heart.

I have a dear friend who I fear is running from God. He is making choices in his life right now that would indicate that something isn't right. My guess is he may even be reading today's Freedom Fighter. If you are -- you know that you can't run from good. I plead with you with all my heart, please, please return to the One who loves you.

Listen to the words penned by Stan Marsh, Director of Planned Giving at America's KESWICK:

If you read this verse in its entirety the phrase “from the presence of the Lord” appears twice. I think God was letting us know that He knows when we, like Jonah, are running away from Him.
The verse does not start with, I think Jonah is running off in the opposite direction from where I told him to go and preach. God knew exactly what was on Jonah’s mind. Because of Jonah’s disobedience other people were faced with danger and possibly death. There were the captain and sailors on board the ship, and the people of Nineveh.
Why did Jonah turn and run from the presence of the Lord? He was out of fellowship with God because of pride, selfishness, fear, jealousy and hatred, and you can add some others. Does this sound as though my name and yours can replace Jonah’s name in verse three?
One of the first things we hear from a Colony of Mercy man who has fallen back into his addictions is, “I stopping reading my Bible and praying and then stopping attending church and all the functions associated with church. My accountability partners stopped hearing from me, I avoided them. I got out of fellowship with God and turned my back on Jesus!” Once that intimate fellowship with God is ruptured, pride, selfishness, fear, jealousy, and hatred replace the fellowship with God. Christ has been replaced by the former lusts of life.
In Colossians 3:1-3 we read, “If then you have been raised up with Christ; keep seeking the things above where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” NASB
God got Jonah’s attention in the belly of the great fish. Where will God take you before He has your attention? Jonah repented, and God provided a way of escape and a second chance because Jonah repented and was obedient.
God is the God of Love, Mercy and Grace. He will give you multiple opportunities to confess your sins and have your fellowship with Him restored. I am thankful that God’s grace is extended to me even though I fail Him through my disobedience. Won’t you confess to God and be restored to enjoy the fellowship of God?
I am certainly glad that God is the God of second, third, and fourth chances, aren’t you?
In Jonah 3:3, we read “So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the Lord.”
Where is your Nineveh, the place you know God is directing you? God will make the way where there seems to be no way and you will know Victory in Jesus. Read Colossians 3:1-17

Someone in your life running from God? Pray! Then share today's devotional with them. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK


God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 6: Exodus 39-40; Matthew 23:23-39

No comments: