Thursday, February 05, 2009

I Don't Have To

I Don't Have To

“If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.” I John 1:6 (NKJV)

“I don’t have to.” These are the words I used growing up almost daily. I would like to say that I outgrew such disobedience and blatant disregard for authority, but I would be lying. I kept that phrase for most of my adult life as well. It kept costing me greatly (more than I ever could afford), but my pride wouldn’t let me drop it.

You can use your own imaginations, how many things have come into your life that go against your will and immediately “I don’t have to” is the first thought that enters your mind? Satan sifted me with these four little words. “Chris you should stop drinking – it will kill you.” – “I don’t have to.” “Chris you shouldn’t put drugs first and your family second – it’s tearing them apart, you should stop.” – “I don’t have to.” “Chris stop going down this road of self-destruction, you’ll either end up in jail or worse, dead.” “I DON’T HAVE TO.”

These examples are but a few, but you get the point. When my old slavemaster sin snapped his fingers I sprung to attention ready to run here and there in a frenzy of chaos, fear, anger, and hopelessness, sinking farther and farther into the pit of depravity.

But, thanks be to God, who is rich in mercy, who brought me out of that darkness and into His marvelous light. (I Peter 2:9) It’s true, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ freed me from that bondage, now I am a slave of righteousness (Romans 6:18).

Now the indwelling Christ reigns supreme in my heart and that old slavemaster sin has no dominion over me. When the accuser tells me to go and sin, that I’m already forgiven, I tell him – “I don’t have to.” When he lies and tells me I can get away with it just this once, I tell him – “I don’t have to.” When he says nobody will know, besides you earned it, I tell him – “I don’t have to.” I have grown in His grace and knowledge (2 Peter 3:18) (thanks be to God) and truly have come to believe and know that He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God (John 6:69).

When I am faced with the many choices of the heart; I choose Christ. Brothers, we will always be faced with the choice to tip toe back into bondage, but we can say “I don’t have to” to the father of lies. Can we live as freed men fearing that day when we are found out to be a fraud, can we live our lives in bondage forever waiting for others to find out we serve sin? God forbid!!!

There is permanency in our emancipation. God intended us to be free, forever (Romans 8:15). Don’t live this life in fear, wondering how long before you slip back into the sin that so easily entangles (Hebrews 12:1). Just say, “I DON’T HAVE TO… I choose Christ.” -- Chris Connors is Director of Housekeeping at America's KESWICK and a graduate of the Colony of Mercy

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 5

Great Quote: There are also many expressions which may provoke a smile: but let it be remembered that every man has his moments when his lighter feelings indulge themselves, and the preacher must be allowed to have the same passions as his fellow-men; and since he lives in the pulpit more than anywhere else, it is but natural that his whole man should be there developed; besides, he is not quite sure about a smile being a sin, and, at any rate, he thinks it less a crime to cause a momentary laughter than a half-hour's profound slumber. Charles Haddon Spurgeon

No comments: