Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Disciple's Renewal

A Disciple's Renewal

I have been very fascinated with the prayers that are recorded for us by some of the Puritans. There is a depth to the prayers that are so missing today. If you've never seen it, there is a collection of prayers called "The Valley of Vision", which is available from Amazon.com or CBD.com. It is a worthwhile investment for a Freedom Fighter!!!

Here is a prayer to help focus our thinking on this Lord's Day:

O my Savior,
Help me.
I am slow to learn,
so prone to forget,
so weak to climb;
I am in the foothills when I should be on the heights;
I am pained by my graceless heart,
my prayerless days,
my poverty of love,
my sloth in the heavenly race,
my sullied conscience,
my wasted hours,
my unspent opportunities.
I am blind while light shines around me:
take the scales from my eyes,
grind to dust the evil heart of unbelief.
Make it my chiefest joy to study You,
meditate on You,
gaze on You,
sit like Mary at Your feet,
lean like John on Your breast,
appeal like Peter to Your love,
count like Paul all things dung.
Give me an increase and progress in grace
so that there may be
more decision in my character,
more vigour in my purposes,
more elevation in my life,
more fervour in my devotion,
more constancy in my zeal.
As I have a position in the world,
keep me from making the world my position;
May I never seek in the creature
what can only be found in the Creator.
Let not faith cease from seeking You
until it vanishes into sight.
Ride forth in my, thou King of kings
and Lord of lords,
that I may live victoriously,
and in victory attain my end.
Amen

Powerful prayer for you and I to pray today as we celebrate this wonderful Lord's day. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 25; Exodus 12-13; Matthew 16

Great Quote: “A Christian’s life is full of mysteries: poor and yet rich; base and yet exalted; shut out of the world and yet admitted into the company of saints and angels; slighted, and yet dear to God; the world’s dirt, and God’s jewels.”
- Thomas Manton

No comments: