Sunday, August 31, 2008

Asking in Confidence

Asking in Confidence (Psalm 18:6)

Does asking God for direction and guidance do any good? Some who read this may think it doesn't. Some will assure us that it does. Many who read these Freedom Fighters live somewhere in the middle. They want to believe asking is worthwhile, but they're just not sure.

If you remember from yesterday's edition, David asked God to "make Your way straight before my face." He made the request in the context of pressure from his enemies. He needed God's direction in a difficult, maybe dangerous, situation. The tone of his prayer displays no lack of confidence toward God.

Reading through the Psalms helps us understand David's confidence when asking for God's help and direction through the twists and turns of life. Hear his words in Psalm 18:6: "In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple. And my cry came before Him, even to His ears."

Do you doubt God's willingness or interest in hearing when you ask for direction? Do you pray with something less than confidence? Perhaps you are one of the many who lives in the middle between confidence and doubt. May I suggest that you memorize Psalm 18:6?

With unflinching confidence, David declares that God heard his cry for help. This isn't "wishy-washy" language. It's the language of certainty and assurance. David had no doubts. He didn't live in the middle ground. His experience in asking for help and direction allowed him to live in unreserved confidence.

I don't know where you live today. I wish I could tell you that I always live in the land of confidence, but I can't. Sometimes I doubt, even though I know I shouldn't. Like many of you, I live in need of direction. To my knowledge I have no enemies lurking in the shadows, but I still need direction. During the depth of that need, I sometimes wonder if God hears or if He'll answer.

David, with his certainty and confident trust, gives me hope. He lets me know that when I pray "Make Your way straight before my face," I can do so without doubt. David assures me-and you-that God hears our voice. Our cries come right to his ears. God's Word lets us know that we don't have to live in the valley of doubt or the quagmire of that middle ground. We can live on the solid ground of unwavering confidence. God can be trusted! -- John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River

God's WORD for YOU: Psalm 132-134; Proverbs 31; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 (By reading these daily Scriptures, you will read through the Bible in a year.)

Great Quote: Each time, before you intercede, be quiet first, and worship God in His glory. Think of what He can do, and how He delights to hear the prayers of His redeemed people. Think of your place and privilege in Christ, and expect great things! -- Andrew Murray

Don't miss our final services. Join us by live webcast today at 10:30 AM and 7:00 PM -- www.americaskeswick.org

No comments: