Saturday, August 30, 2008

Praying for Direction

Praying for Direction (Psalm 5:7&8)

All of us read Pastor Bob Alderman's series of Freedom Fighter articles last week. His wisdom is helpful and pointed, and we can all benefit from his thinking. Pastor Bob has preached several times at First Baptist/Toms River, and I'm glad to say that he has become my friend.

His children gave him a GPS unit as a gift recently (It's a Garmin unit), and Pastor Bob speaks of the directions "Miss Garmin" gives him to get him from where he is to where he wants to be. Many of us have GPS now, and we know how helpful and convenient it can be. I don't know about you, but I've wished that discerning God's direction could happen as easily as punching in an address in "Miss Garmin."

It's not that easy to know God's direction, but we're not without help. A few years ago, while reading through the Scriptures, one line in these two verses jumped off the page at me. I'm sure I'd read them before, but they had never captured my attention like they did that day. Listen to David's words: "But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy; in fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple. Lead me, O Lord, in Your righteousness because of my enemies; MAKE YOUR WAY STRAIGHT BEFORE MY FACE."

David teaches us to pray in very specific terms; "Make Your way straight before my face." All of us have experienced those times when we desperately needed direction. We've looked for it, talked with others about the situation, and hoped we finally made a good decision. Many of us who need that direction can look back and remember times when our decisions weren't so good.

We have the freedom to pray, "Lord, make Your way straight before my face." But notice the context in which David voices this prayer. He has come into the Lord's house. He worships God as he faces the temple. He qualifies his praying by asking God to lead him in His righteousness. We have the freedom to ask God for clear direction when we live in His presence, worship Him in the fear of the Lord and pursue His righteousness.

Do you have situations that need God's direction? What decisions demand more wisdom and direction than you have? You and I have the privilege of coming into the Lord's presence with a simple request: "Make Your way straight before my face." I need that direction. You need that direction. Let's follow David's example and ask boldly. -- John Strain is Senior Pastor First Baptist of Toms River

God's WORD for YOU: Psalm 129-131; Proverbs 30; 1 Corinthians 11:1-16

Great Quote: Decisions can take you out of God's will but never out of His reach. -- Anonymous

No comments: