Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Proverbial Baseball

Proverbial Baseball

"My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; For the length of days and long life and peace they will add to you. Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, And so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man." Proverbs 3:1-4

Well Brothers it's little league baseball season. As a father it means getting to watch my son play and compete in one of America's pastimes but as his team's coach it means teaching skills that could last a lifetime. I spend some of that coaching time on character and sportsmanship and I pray that I am planting seed.

One of the things I notice being a coach are parents....especially the fathers. I have one player who does a good job of disrespecting his father. There are outward insults that go back and forth between these two. One day this same father looks to me and say's "This is what happens when you spare the rod, right!?" Of course my reply is "Yes, exactly."

I was recently blessed and privileged to watch my 12 year old son be accepted into the Junior National Honor Society. An achievement I never sought after. When I was his age I had already decided on a path of sin.
And since coming to Christ, it has been important to me, that my son understand the aforementioned Proverb.

On our way home from his induction ceremony I expressed how proud I was of Kevin. I also expressed the importance of remaining loyal to what he is about to embark upon. "This will be a great way for you to show the face of Christ" I said. He agreed!

This society stresses servant hood and putting oneself aside for those around. Sound familiar? It should. As my wife, daughter and I sat and listened to the speeches that the present membership gave, all Kathy and I could say was, "Jesus said that."

For you fathers out there who will find yourself on the ball fields take notice. Listen to what is being said and reflect on what you have said to your son lately. Are you trading barbs with your son or are you being a good steward of Christ's teaching in your life?

A good quote, "The finest art of communication is not learning how to express your thoughts. It is learning how to draw out the thoughts of another. Your objective in communication must be to understand your child, not simply to have your child understand you. Many parents never learn these skills. They never discover how to help their children articulate their thoughts and feelings." Shepherding a Child's Heart -- Ted Tripp Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy.

God's Word for You: 2 Samuel 14:15; Luke 17:1-19

Think About This: If people would only believe they are still in the process of creation, submit to the Maker, allowing Him to handle them as the potter handles clay, and yield themselves in on shining deliberate action to the turning of His wheel, they would soon find themselves able to welcome every pressure from His hand on them, even if it results in pain. And sometimes they should not only believe but also have God's purpose in sight: 'bringing many sons to glory.' (Hebrews 2:10) - Mrs. Cowman

No comments: