Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Don't Get Discouraged

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED

"They looked ... and there was the glory of the Lord appearing in the cloud." Exodus 16:10

This has been a challenging several weeks for me and our staff at America's KESWICK. The financial situation weighs very heavily on my heart and mind, and throughout the night I was battling some intense discouragement. I woke up this morning asking the Lord to speak to my heart very specifically, and I don't know why I am amazed, but HIS timing even in my devotional reading is always so perfect.

Here is what He gave me this morning from STREAMS IN THE DESERT:

"You should get in the habit of looking for the silver lining of storm clouds. And once you have found it, continue to focus on IT rather than the dark gray of the center. Do not yield to DISCOURAGEMENT no matter how severely stressed or surrounded by problems you may be. A discouraged soul is in a helpless state, being neither able to 'stand against the devil's schemes' (Ephesians 6:11) himself nor able to prevail in prayer for others. FLEE EVERY SYMPTOM OF THE DEADLY FOE OF DISCOURAGEMENT as you would run from a snake. Never be slow to turn your back on it, unless you desire to eat the dust of bitter defeat.

Search for the specific promises of God, saying aloud each one, THIS ONE IS MINE. Then if you still experience feels of doubt and discouragement, pour out your heart to God, asking HIM to rebuke the Adversary who is so mercilessly harassing you.

The very instant you wholeheartedly turn away from every symptom of discouragement and lack of trust, the blessed Holy Spirit will reawaken your faith and breathe God's divine strength into your soul. Initially you may be unaware that this is happening, but as you determine to uncompromisingly shun every attack of even the tendency toward doubt and depression, you will quickly see the powers of darkness being turned back.

Oh, if only our eyes could see the mighty armies of strength and power that are always behind our turning away from the hosts of darkness toward God, there would be no attention given to the efforts of the cunning For to distress, depress, or discourage us! All the miraculous attributes of the Godhead are marshaled on the side of even the weakest believer who, in the name of Christ and in simple, childlike trust, yields himself to God and turns to Him for help and guidance.

I must never lose the skyward look. I must keep faith, I must keep hope, I must keep courage, I must keep Christ. It would be better to crawl immediately from the battlefield than to not be brave. This is no time for my soul to retreat! Keep your skyward look, my soul; keep your skyward look!" (Streams in the Desert - Zondervan)

I closed the book and read several other things, and then concluded with MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST. In the margin was written a notation that on
4/2/02 the Lord sent a $25,000 gift to America's KESWICK. It was a wonderful reminder that HIS PROVISION for our need is on the way. Now I have the choice - will I dare to trust Him and cling to His promises? Or will I wallow today in the pit of discouragement and depression, biting my nails and wondering what we will do if He doesn't show up? Through Christ today, I am purposing to trust!

Thanks, Lord, for once again speaking to MY heart in such a timely way.
- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

HIS WORD FOR TODAY - Judges 16-18; Luke 7:1-30

THINK ABOUT THIS - A calm hour with God is worth a whole lifetime with man. - Robert Murray McCheyne

No comments: