Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Evolving Mission -- Edward's Resolutions Part 3

Evolving Mission - Edwards' Resolutions Part 3

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if
these things were so. Acts 17:11

We're looking at the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. - In his fight for victory he fights with three ideas which everyone should emulate. His mission evolves and grows as he grows.

1) Edwards is ever-creative in his fight for victory. He committed to not getting stuck in a spiritual rut. He's willing to use whatever means or method he can think of to grow and to fight.

2) Edwards is always reminding himself of his fight and his Resolutions. You'll notice that he doesn't call his resolutions "New Years" resolutions. - You can't just fight once a year, he systematically goes over his resolutions and commits, recommits and repents as a lifestyle of coming to Jesus.

3) Edwards expands the impact of the Spirit and his Fight for Freedom to every imaginable part of life. I think the temptation for us is to look for victory and freedom in segments of our lives while keeping our own private kingdoms within ourselves.

Jonathan Edward's Resolutions

2. Resolved, to be continually endeavoring to find out some new invention and creative solution to promote glorifying God.

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects - in speaking and doing - in humility, as if nobody had been so evil as I, and as if I had committed the same sins or the worst of others. I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and their failure only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God, rather than gloating in self-pride.

28. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the Jesus.

30. Resolved, to strive to my utmost every week to be brought higher in my relationship with Jesus, and to a higher exercise of grace, than I was the week before.

44- Resolved, that my only agenda behind my actions will be my relationship with Jesus. I shall do nothing that does not advance this goal. Jan.12, 1723.

45. Resolved, never to allow any pleasure or grief, joy or sorrow, nor any affection at all, nor any degree of affection, nor any circumstance relating to it, but what helps my relationship with Jesus. Jan.12 and 13.1723.

54. Whenever I hear anything spoken in conversation of any person, if I think it would be praiseworthy in me, Resolved to endeavor to imitate it. July 8, 1723.

58. Resolved, not only to refrain from an attitude of dislike, fear, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an attitude of love, cheerfulness and goodness. May27, and July 13, 1723.

(Pastor Samuel Sutter, Dix Hills EFC - www.dhefc.org <http://www.dhefc.org/> )

Men come and go; leaders, teachers, thinkers speak and work for a season, and then fall silent and impotent. He abides. They die, but He lives. They are lights kindled, and, therefore, sooner or later quenched; but He is the true light from which they draw all their brightness, and He shines for evermore. Alexander MacLaren

No comments: