Thursday, January 03, 2008

Devolving Mission -- Edward's Resolutions Part 4

Devolving Mission - Edwards' Resolutions Part 4

"The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel." Mark 1:15

We're looking at the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards and how to stay on mission in our fight for victory against sin. Edward's resolutions seem stringent and idealistic. One problem with resolutions is that we tend to throw them away when we find that we can't live up to them. But part of the gospel is that we can't live up to our righteous standing with Jesus. Failure, repentance and drinking deeply from the grace we have in Jesus in a normal part of fighting the good fight.

Edwards isn't naïve about living victoriously. He has already admitted in the first sentence his complete dependence on God for victory. Thus he plans for failure and defeat in a way that help him to return to his mission in a way that honors God. He views his spiritual defeat and failure as a way of focusing his mission rather than ending his fight.

Jonathan Edward's Resolutions <http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/2007/1924_The_Resolutions_of_Jonathan_Edwards/> ...

3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.

12. Resolved, if I take delight in knowing theology as a means of pride - I will immediately repent.

14. Resolved, never to do anything out of revenge.

15. Resolved, never to suffer the least motions of anger to irrational beings.

24. Resolved, whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then both carefully endeavor to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.

25. Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it.

26. Resolved, to cast away such things, as I find do weaken my assurance and faith.

27. Resolved, never willfully to omit anything, except the omission be for the glory of God; and frequently to examine my omissions.

48. Resolved, constantly, to be looking into the state of my soul, that I may know whether I have truly an interest in Christ or no; that when I come to die, I may not have any negligence respecting this to repent of. May 26, 1723.

49. Resolved, that this never shall be, if I can help it.

56. Resolved, never to give over, nor in the least to slacken my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

57. Resolved, when I fear misfortunes and adversities, to examine whether ~ have done my duty, and resolve to do it; and let it be just as providence orders it, I will as far as I can, be concerned about nothing but my duty and my sin. June 9, and July 13 1723.

68. Resolved, to confess frankly to myself all that which I find in myself, either infirmity or sin; and, if it be what concerns religion, also to confess the whole case to God, and implore needed help. July 23, and August 10, 1723.

(Pastor Samuel Sutter, Dix Hills EFC - www.dhefc.org <http://www.dhefc.org/> )

Great Quote: We must devote, not only times and places to prayer, but be everywhere in the spirit of devotion; with hearts always set toward heaven, looking up to God in all our actions, and doing every thing as His servants; living in the world as in a holy temple of God, and always worshiping Him, though not with our lips, yet with the thankfulness of our hearts, the holiness of our actions and the pious and charitable use of all His gifts. William Law

No comments: