Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Defining Mission -- Edwards Resolutions Part 2

Good morning and Happy New Year. I am looking forward to starting the new year with you through the ministry of Freedom Fighters. If this ministry is a blessing to you, we'd love to hear from you and also encourage you to invite a friend to join you on the journey!

Defining Mission - Edwards's Resolutions Part 2

At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:10-11

We're looking at the Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. Philippians
2.10-11 summarizes the focus of Edward's mission. In light of Christ coming back as King, we should walk in Victory. We wage this fight daily in our speech, actions, pride and gossip. Jonathan Edwards tried to see every part of life in light of the return of Christ.

We can learn from Edwards that fighting for victory is a fight that battles in every part of our lives. There is no domain of our lives that needs not be defended. To make matters worse our thinking and our perspective is of variable clarity. Edwards pledges to acts the way he thinks when he is closest to God.

Jonathan Edward's Resolutions
e_Resolutions_of_Jonathan_Edwards/> ... (arrangement and edits mine)

16. Resolved, never to speak evil of anyone, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, except for some real good.

17. Resolved, that I will live as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

18. Resolved, to live at all times, as I think is best in my devout moments, and when I have clearest ideas of things of the gospel, and another world.

19. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if I expected it would be less than an hour, before I should hear the last trump.

20. Resolved, to maintain the strictest control in eating and drinking.

21. Resolved, never to do anything, which if I should see in another, I should count a just occasion to despise him for, or to think any way the more less of him.

22. Resolved, to endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness, in the other world, as I possibly can, with all the power; might, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of.

32. Resolved, to be strictly and firmly faithful to my trust, that that in Prov. 20:6, "A faithful man who can find?" may not be even partly fulfilled in me.

31. Resolved, never to say anything at all against anybody, unless it is perfectly agreeable to the highest degree of Christian honor, and of love to mankind, agreeable to the lowest humility, and sense of my own faults and failings, and agreeable to the golden rule; often, when I have said anything against anyone, to bring it to, and try it strictly by the test of this Resolution.

33. Resolved, always to do what I can towards making, maintaining, establishing and preserving peace, when it can be without over-balancing detriment in other respects. Dec.26, 1722.

34. Resolved, when telling stories never to speak anything but the pure and simple truth.

36. Resolved, never to speak evil of any, except I have some particular good call for it. Dec. 19, 1722.

(Pastor Samuel Sutter, Dix Hills EFC - www.dhefc.org <http://www.dhefc.org/> )

Great Quote: "The proof of spiritual maturity is not how pure you are, but an awareness of your impurity. That very awareness opens the door to grace. Spiritual maturity is not measured in the rules you keep.
Spiritual maturity is not measured in the Bible answers you know in small groups. Spiritual maturity is not even about what you do.
Primarily, Spiritual maturity is know who you are in Christ." Philip Yancey, The Jesus I Never Knew

No comments: