Friday, May 25, 2007

THINK VICTORY! ENGAGE IN GOOD DEEDS -- PRESSING NEEDS

ENGAGE IN GOOD DEEDS – PRESSING NEEDS
“And let our people also learn to engage in good deeds to meet pressing needs, that they may not be unfruitful.” Titus 3:14

I can’t quite figure it out – but it seems that just when we think we can’t handle another thing, those interruptions and out-of-the-box situations seem to pop up. You know those situations when you might not say it, but you think it – or maybe mutter under your breath – “Oh no! You’ve got to be kidding. I don’t need this right now.”

Sometimes those “pressing needs” can become those opportunities for minister to people in ways that we can’t even imagine. God might very well be sending those interruptions as “divine appointments” that we could miss if we weren’t committed to engaging in good deeds.Yesterday morning right before our staff prayer time there was an accident on the highway outside our property.

It couldn’t have happened on a worse day as our staff were busy preparing for our Community Open House on Saturday.Traffic was backed up for miles and people obviously were frayed with the delay. The easiest thing would be to ignore the problem and say, “it isn’t our problem.” The interruption for our staff was dropping what they were doing to open our road to allow traffic to be diverted through our property.An interruption – absolutely! But who knows – one of those cars could have been a divine appointment in disguise. Brian Bitler, our Director of Marketing and IT used this interruption as an opportunity by handing out our Open House flyers to every car that came through. My guess is that there are some people who drove through our property who didn’t have a clue what we were.

My staff engaged in a good deed that I believe spoke volumes to many people yesterday. I was very proud of Al, Bill, Brian, Steve, Rob, Garrett, and Zach for jumping in to help us serve our community. We didn’t get to share the gospel one-on-one with anyone – but my guess is that somehow God will use that as an open door someday to do that. And they might just say – “I remember when you guys opened your road for me …”

Don’t miss an opportunity today to serve someone who has a pressing need. Do as Paul said – “Engage in good deeds.” God may just use that interruption in ways that you can’t even imagine!

GREAT QUOTE: “What do you believe when you say, 'I believe in God the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth?' That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who out of nothing created heaven and earth and everything in them, and who still upholds and rules them by His eternal counsel and providence, is my God and Father. I trust Him so much that I do not doubt that He will provide whatever I need for body and soul, and will also turn to my good whatever adversity He sends me in this sad world. He is able to do this because He is almighty God and desires to do this because He is a faithful Father." Heidelberg Catechism, # 26

No comments: