Thursday, May 24, 2007

THINK VICTORY! GUIDANCE FROM BEHIND

GUIDANCE FROM BEHIND

“And I will lead the blind by a way that they do not know in paths they do not know I will guide them. I will make darkness into light before them and rugged places into plains.” Isaiah 42:16

Everyone of us faces times when we are trying to discern God’s will and need HIS guidance. I have several friends right now who are in the midst of trying to determine God’s will for their lives. One is looking for direction concerning a relationship he is in. He is trying to determine if this is the right girl for him. Another friend is trying to determine which college to attend. He is facing a tough decision because both colleges have offered him full scholarships. Another friend is trying to determine God’s will about some financial matters. As a ministry, we are seeking God’s will for the future residential women’s ministry.

In my quiet time this morning, this issues was addressed in the devotional, DAILY WITH THE KING: “I must get used to the idea that God is not always in FRONT of me, but sometimes He guides me from BEHIND! ‘Your ears will hear a word BEHIND you, ‘This is the way, walk in it!’ (Isaiah 30:21) Strange guidance, indeed, from behind!

In Argentina I watched a shepherd girl lead her flock of sheep. How did she do it? Sometimes in front, sometimes on the side, and sometimes from behind. The psalmist says, “He LEADETH me” (Psalm 23:2); that is guidance from the front. But verse 3 says, “He DRIVETH me in the paths” – That is guidance from behind.

Guidance from behind means one of two things: either there is trouble ahead and I need to be forced through it; or my resolve is getting weak and God has to use a little muscle persuasion to get me moving along the road.

God has led me more with “behind guidance” than with “before guidance.” When God is in front He is easily seen and I slack my trust a little. But when He is behind I have got to rely on His commands without seeing Him; therefore, I am more vulnerable to failure and mistakes unless my faith is strong. My very vulnerability is the school in which God teaches my faith to be strong.

If I am trusting God, He will never let me make a wrong move. But all the same, He will allow me to suffer the anxiety of a POSSIBLE wrong move, just to keep my faith in fighting trim. That anxiety is painful, but not half as painful as reaping the results of a REAL wrong move. God carefully monitors my anxiety level and will not allow it to overflow. “I will tell the next generation that this God IS my God, He will be my guide, even unto death.” (Psalm 48:13-14).” (from Daily with the King – Moody Press)

How about you? Are you facing a decision? Trying to determine God’s will? He might be leading you from behind! Watch and wait for Him.

GREAT QUOTE: I have cried, says the Psalmist, because thou hast heard me. One would think he should have said contrariwise; thou hast heard me because I have cried; yet, he says, I have cried because thou hast heard me; to show that crying doth not always go before hearing with God, as it doth with us; but that God will not only hear our cry, but also hear us before we cry, and will help us. Thomas Playfere

No comments: