Wednesday, March 01, 2006

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS ON SIN . . .

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS ON SIN . . .

Most mornings I am sharing with you from what God is teaching me in my
own quiet time as I read the Word and devotional readings.

Many mornings there seems to be a common thread weaved by the Holy
Spirit that ties all of the readings together. It is hard to explain as
none of the materials were written in the same year and were penned by
various writers.

The common thread today deals with sin -- a good reminder as we face the
temptations of life and the grip of sin on our lives. I am sharing with
you several quotes this morning that deal with this topic that will
hopefully awaken your spirit again this morning to God's point of view
towards sin in the life of a believer.
"I preached on the righteousness of the law and the righteousness of
faith. While I was speaking, several dropped down as dead and among the
rest such a cry was heard of sinners groaning for the righteousness of
faith that it almost drowned my voice. But many of these soon lifted up
their heads with joy and broke out into thanksgiving, being assured they
now had the desire of their soul - the forgiveness of their sins." --
John Wesley

"Am I so self-deceived that I believe that if I give in to sin, its grip
will be weaker over me? Do I really think that if I give in to Satan, he
will thereafter leave me alone? I like Paul's word, 'Do not give the
devil an opportunity' (Ephesians 4:27). Do not give him a chance to
maneuver, get a toehold or a grip on you. Do not give him a satisfaction
of a look, a glance, or a listen. Look at the wreckage of those who gave
him a chance -- Eve, David, Judas! The price is too steep." -- Guy Evans

"Sin taints every thought, word, and act, including the seemingly best
deeds." -- R. C. Sproul

"We are so depraved that God must drag us to himself. The beauty of the
gospel, however, is that at the same time, the Spirit's work is to make
us willing to come." -- R. C. Sproul

"The wrath of God is a perfection of the Divine character upon which we
need to frequently meditate. First, that our hearts may be duly
impressed by God's hatred of sin . . . The more we study and ponder
God's hatred of sin and His frightful vengeance upon it, the more likely
we are able to realize its heinousness. Secondly, to beget a true fear
in our souls for God . . . 'for our God is a consuming fire' (Hebrews
12:29). We cannot serve Him 'acceptably' unless there is due 'reverence'
for his awful Majesty and 'godly fear' of His righteous anger; and these
are best promoted by frequently calling to mind that 'our God is a
consuming fire.' Thirdly, to draw our souls, in fervent praise for our
having been delivered from 'the wrath to come.' (1 Thessalonians 1:10)
A. W. Pink

May the Lord impress upon our hearts the awfulness of sin and how He
hates it. Ask Him for the desire to forsake all that is sin in you.

Good words for our consideration, not only for today, but every day.

No comments: