Wednesday, May 02, 2012

He Did if For Me


He Did it For You

Check out this month’s May Discovering Victory Podcast featuring Dr. Jamie Mitchell, pastor of New Song Fellowship Church. Jamie will be one of our speakers for our 2012 Memorial Day Weekend conference.

Someone sent me this little story this week and it reminded me of the Sunday we visited a church for the first time. Walking down the aisle to find a seat, my wife said, “We are going to be sitting in someone’s seat.” Minutes later two dear little ladies came in sat behind us and said in their “stage whispers” – “They are in our row. We know it’s OUR row because there is wax on the carpet on the row in front of that one!” Great first impression. Had we not been in church ministry for 25+ years, we might have walked out and never returned.

Now you know why this story below resonated with me this morning …
One day, a man went to visit a church. He got there early, parked his car and got out.  Another car pulled up nearby and the driver got out and said, " I always park there! You took my place!"

The visitor went inside for Sunday School, found an empty seat and sat down. A young lady from the church approached him and stated, "That's my seat! You took my place!" The visitor was somewhat distressed by this rude welcome, but said nothing.

After Sunday School, the visitor went into the sanctuary and sat down. Another member walked up to him and said, "That's where I always sit!  You took my place!" The visitor was even more troubled by this treatment, but still said nothing.

Later as the congregation was praying for Christ to dwell among them, the visitor stood up, and his appearance began to change. Horrible scars became visible on his hands and on his sandaled feet. Someone from the congregation noticed him and called out, "What happened to you?" The visitor replied, as his hat became a crown of thorns, and a tear fell from his eye, "I took your place."
 
A good reminder for all of us. Lord, help us to be more sensitive to the people around us, especially to those who might be coming to our churches that may not fit the mold. – Bill Welte is President & CEO of America’s Keswick


Motivations: Whenever a person says to me: "My problem is that I do not love the Lord enough", I usually respond: "No... your problem is that you don't know how much the Lord loves you." Selwyn Hughes
  
Practice to Remember: Level 1:Ephesians 6:2-3; Level 2: Ephesians 5:15-21

Powered Up:  The prayer of the Christian reaches beyond its set time and extends into the heart of his work. It includes the whole day, and in doing so, it does not hinder the work; it promotes it, affirms it, and lends it meaning and joy!” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No comments: