Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Getting Your Feet Wet


GETTING YOUR FEET WET!

“And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the Lord- the Lord of all the earth- set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap.” (Joshua 3:13)

            A few years ago I spent about five weeks carrying Bibles into China from a base in Hong Kong.  OK, smuggling Bibles.  The communist government was controlling the “registered churches,” and so most of the Christians in China were functioning “underground.”  In spite of, (maybe because of), decades of intense persecution, the Gospel, and the church, was spreading like wildfire.  It still is.  There is a real lack of Bibles though, and so people like me were bringing them in.  Twelve times I crossed a border, travelled inland, made the drop, and returned to base.  In the providence of God, I was never caught.

            Not only did I feel like I was doing my part, but I can also say that I have never felt closer to God, or more alive.  One day though, at the border, I felt a surge of worry.  As I waited to have my passport examined, I could see a dozen customs officers hard at work.  Loads of travellers were having their bags searched.  That’s when I remembered the priests and the Jordan.  That’s when the peace came.  “I am a priest of the Lord of all the earth.  I carry the ark of the covenant in my heart, and his holy word with my hands.”  As I stepped into the customs area, every officer disappeared.  Everyone was busy searching someone else.  I couldn’t even see one. The river parted, and I walked through on dry ground. 

            So, what is it that God has laid on your heart?  I’m not saying that everyone should smuggle Bibles, or that we always see success.  But I know that as His child, you are also His priest.  In prayer, you stand in the presence of the One who is life and represent a dying world.  And in that dying world, you stand before its people and represent the One who is Life.  Surely God has something for you to do.  How many times does He have to ask?  Wouldn’t it be awful to find out later that you had missed out on the very thing that would have really made a difference?  Remember, He is the Lord of all the earth.  Go on, get your feet wet! Chris Thompson is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and a contributor to our daily devotional, REAL VICTORY FOR REAL LIFE. Chris will be speaking at three of our 115th Colony of Mercy banquets this September


Motivations: A world of nice people, content in their own niceness, looking no further, turned away from God, would be just as desperately in need of salvation as a miserable world - and might even be more difficult to save. C. S. Lewis

Practice to Remember: Level 1:Ephesians 6:2-3; Level 2: Ephesians 5:15-21

Powered Up:  We need to realize that prayer is not just for personal use, nor is it only for devotional purpose. Prayer is a ministry. Prayer is work. Watchman Nee

No comments: