Friday, May 25, 2012

15, No 17 Things I Wished I Had Learned (Part 5)


15, No 17 Things I Wished I Had Learned (Part 5)

Today is the official kick-off of our 2012 Summer Bible Conference Season. It's not to late to plan to visit us this weekend for our Memorial Day Weekend conference featuring Dr. Phil Tuttle and Dr. Jamie Mitchell. Remember you can watch live: www.americaskeswick.org.

Thanks for the feedback on this series of blogs … I have received some good comments from someone of you … keep responding … it’s an encouragement (whether it is positive or negative …)

Here are a couple more lessons …

9. Rest and Relax! I know that my wife Jan reads my Freedom Fighter blogs, so I can’t be covering up. She knows the real me. So if I told you that I have learned this lesson, I would be hung up the flag pole!

The bottom line is that I am a terrible “rester” and “relaxer.” My idea of relaxing and resting involves doing work at a different location! J I grew up in a home where you always had to be doing something. Sitting and doing nothing was not an option. My Mom in particular, was always on the move. I think that I inherited most of my genes from her gene pool.

My Uncle on my Dad’s side was just the opposite. His motto was “Why run when you can walk – why walk when you can sit – why sit when you can lie down.” Totally opposite perspective.

I am not proud of the fact that I am a poor rester and relaxer and I am trying to learn that DOING NOTHING is really OK! Vance Havner, a profound Bible teacher and conference speaker used to say, “If you don’t come apart, you will come a-part!

10. Find a hobby and do it. Again, many leaders struggle with thinking that this is a waste of time – but it is great therapy. I love to read, play the piano and play in the garden. Right now I am obsessed with my backyard. It is very therapeutic for me to dig, transplant and then watch things grow. It is very relaxing for me and it helps me clear my mind. I can sit at the piano and get lost for 10, 20 to 30 minutes in my music. And reading – I have books everywhere so that whenever I have a few minutes, I can pick up a book and read a couple of chapters. While the Smartphone and Ipad can be a painful necessity, I have my Kindle Apps installed on both and can read books that I have downloaded electronically. Remember: John C. Maxwell says, “Leaders are readers!”

I will try and finish the list next week and then share some new insights I have received from you. If you haven’t written – don’t procrastinate. We are all learners on this journey. Have a blessed weekend. – Bill Welte is President & CEO of America’s Keswick


Motivations: I daresay we've heard a bit about original sin, but not nearly enough about original glory, which comes before sin and is deeper to our nature. We were crowned with glory and honour. Why does a woman long to be beautiful? Why does a man hope to... be found brave? Because we remember, if only faintly, that we were once more than we are now. John Eldridge

Practice to Remember: Level 1:Ephesians 6:13 ; Level 2: Ephesians 6:14-21

Powered Up:  Prayer is asking for rain. Faith is carrying the umbrella. Robert C. Savage

No comments: