Thursday, December 08, 2011

Don't Miss the Obvious

Don’t Miss the Obvious

I am a book-a-holic! Some of you already knew that. But there – I said it! And I love books about the Word of God. And I am a sucker for a good commentary. One of the regrets I have is that I didn’t get to finish my education at PBU back in the 70’s. I think I would have loved to learn Greek and Hebrew to better understand the texts of Scripture.

BUT I am very thankful for the way God still speaks to my heart even without that piece of paper that says I’ve completed a degree.

Today in my Bible reading I was reading through the little one chapter book of Jude. The last verses really jumped off the page – and I laughed to myself and said, “It can’t get any more obvious.” So here it is – just the text – no commentary. Allow God to speak to your heart today from the ESV. I am leaving the notes in the event that the links will take you there for further study:

A Call to Persevere

17 But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. 18 They6said to you, u“In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” 19 It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, vdevoid of the Spirit. 20 But you, beloved, wbuilding yourselves up in your most holy faith and xpraying in the Holy Spirit, 21 ykeep yourselves in the love of God, zwaiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. 22 And have mercy on those who doubt;23 save others by asnatching them out of bthe fire; to others show mercy cwith fear, hating even dthe garment7 stained by the flesh.

Doxology
24 eNow to him who is able fto keep you from stumbling and gto present you hblameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to ithe only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, jbe glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Romans 4-7Psalm 128Proverbs 8

Compass Pointers: We ought to give thanks for all fortune: if it is good, because it is good; if bad, because it works in us patience, humility, contempt of this world and the hope of our eternal country. C. S. Lewis

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: John 17:3; Level 2: John 17:1-5

Anchored to the Rock: A sinning man will stop praying. A praying man will stop sinning. Leonard Ravenhill

No comments: