Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Courageous -- The Resolution

Courageous – The Resolution

“As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

Several weeks ago, Keswick Board member, Pastor Dave Sutter recommended that I read the book, The Resolution for Men, written by Stephen and Alex Kendrick (Broadman & Holman). The book is based on the movie Courageous, and is built around 12 “I Will” statements. This book will go down as one of the must reads for 2011.

Here are six of the “I WILL” statements. I will give you the additional six on Wednesday:
  1. I will solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
  2. I will love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
  3. I will be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
  4. I will bless my children and teach them how to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
  5. I will train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
  6. I will confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
What powerful statements, but think what it would be like if we put these into practice, men. By the way, we are trying to finalize the license so we can show Courageous at America’s Keswick. I’ll post the following six tomorrow. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: 2 Corinthians 10-13; Psalm 126; Proverbs 6

Compass Pointers: “Before you can (know you are right with God) you must not only be troubled for your sins of your life, but also for the sins of your best duties and performances…before you can be at peace with God, there must be a deep conviction before you can be brought out of you self-righteousness; it is the last idol taken out of your heart.  The pride of our heart will not let us submit to the righteousness of Jesus Christ.  But if you never felt that you had no righteousness of your own or if you never felt the deficiency of your own righteousness, you cannot come to Jesus Christ.” George Whitefield 

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: John 17:3; Level 2: John 17:1-5

Anchored to the Rock: God wants to be loved for Himself, but that is only part. He also wants us to know that when we have Him we have everything.



No comments: