Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just Do It

Just Do It
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8

I have found myself frustrated over the years thinking and verbalizing this: “why is prayer such hard work?” Why have I been so frustrated in my prayer life?

I have collected and read dozens of books on prayer. I’ve looked for the right model, the right formula, the right method so that I can pray effectively. The bottom line is that I can have the largest collection of books on how to pray – but in the words of Nike – I need to JUST DO IT!

Rather than get so hung up on the right and wrong way to pray, figuring out the right position and posture for prayer, and trying to make sure I say the right things and not say the wrong things – God wants me to come to Him in childlike faith and just pray.

It’s really not as complicated as I make it. It isn’t about saying a prayer that will impress the Lord. Who am I kidding? He knows the real me. He knows when I am using “vain repetitions” or praying things I don’t really mean.

I am new on this journey – but I have made a commitment to myself – to move from reading and learning about prayer – to become a man who prays. I will make mistakes, I’m sure. But at the end of the day, it matters more to Him that I love Him enough that I want to spend time with Him at the throne of grace.
Lord, help me to keep it simple – JUST DO IT! Pray! – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick
\
GPS – God’s Positioning System: Matthew 17; Psalm 103; Proverbs 20

Compass Pointers:  To know Christ is the way to grow in holiness. Christianity is not a religion of rules. It is the religion of the divine example. Try to follow the blessed steps of the most holy life. Take His advice. Ask yourself, in the moment of perplexity or temptation, what would He do if He were here? Nothing else will so surely lead us into the way of holy living. George Hodges

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: John 14:23; Level 2: John 14:12-21

No comments: