Friday, October 21, 2011

It Starts in the Mind

It Starts in the Mind

“And set your mind on and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth.” Colossians 3:2 (The Amplified Bible)

Did you ever ask yourself the question: “Why do I do the things I do?” This morning in my quiet time the light clicked on. I’ve known this all along – but Holy Spirit reminded me of this truth: the battle begins in my mind.
You’ve heard these before: what you think you become! Or this one that I read on Facebook today: 

Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny!

Think about this – every choice that we make starts in the mind! Maybe that is why there is so much in the Bible about how to use our minds in the right way. Paul reminds us that the key to right living begins with “renewing our minds.” (Romans 12:2)

I need to be more intentional about the thoughts that enter the mind. I can’t play with them, entertain them or dwell on them. Wrong thoughts = wrong actions.

Paul gives us direction on how to handle our thoughts: “[Inasmuch as we] we refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every thought and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).” 2 Corinthians 10:5 (The Amplified Bible)

And by the way – notice whose responsibility it is to handle those thoughts: we! It is a matter of me surrendering my every thought to the Holy Spirit’s control. Through Christ I can change my thinking and make right choices. Think about it. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Mark 9; Luke 9:28-62; Psalm 104; Proverbs 22

Compass Pointers: Whatever man loves, that is his god. For he carries it in his heart; he goes about with it night and day; he sleeps and wakes with it, be it what it may - wealth or self, pleasure or renown. Martin Luther

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: John 14:23; Level 2: John 14:12-21

Anchored to the Rock: The heart of prayer is not to alter God’s will but to find it. Sam Shoemaker

No comments: