Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bless the Lord, O My Soul

Bless the Lord, O My Soul

Happy Lord’s Day to you, my brothers. I trust your heart is eager, prepared and ready to worship HIM today.

I didn’t grow up in a church that sang from the Psalter, but I have been enjoying reading through a number of hymnals that contain hymns written from the Psalms. Singing from the Psalms is a biblical part of worship (so why don’t we do it – hmmmm! J)

John Calvin wrote much about the singing of Psalms. In his day, they would post on the doors of the church in advance the Psalms that they would be singing on the Lord’s day. It was so much a part of the fabric of their worship that someone from each family would be instructed to go to the church to check the numbers posted so that the entire family could practice the psalms before each service! Wow!

Today’s hymn was written my preacher-hymnwriter Isaac Watts back in the early 1700’s and is based on 
Psalm 103:

O bless the Lord, my soul!
Let all within me join
And aid my tongue to bless His name,
Whose favors are divine.

Oh bless the Lord, my soul,
Nor let His mercies lie
Forgotten in unthankfulness,
And without praises die.


‘Tis He forgives thy sins;
‘Tis He relieves thy pain;
‘Tis He that heals thy sickness
And makes thee young again.

He crowns thy life with love,
When ransomed from the grace;
He that redeemed my soul from hell
Hath sovereign power to save.

He fills the poor with good,
He gives the sufferers rest;
The Lord hath judgment for the proud.
And justice for the oppressed.
His wondrous works and ways
He made by Moses known;
But sent the world His truth and grace
By His beloved Son. – Isaac Watts – 1719

Grab your Bible and read Psalm 103 and then take some time to bless His holy name. Maybe you can even sing it back to Him! – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Deuteronomy 28-29; Psalm 73; Proverbs 20

Compass Pointers: A faith that's challenged by adversity or tough questions or contemplation is often a stronger faith in the end. Lynn Anderson

Navigation Rules to Memorize: Level 1: Proverbs 12:25; Level 2: Proverbs 12:17-22

Anchored to the Rock: We cannot be expect to live defectively and pray effectively. John Blanchard

No comments: