Sunday, January 02, 2011

A Soul Hungry for God

A Soul Hungry For God

O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.  (Psalm 63:1 NKJV)

Some of you have read through the first volume of the America’s Keswick devotional, REAL VICTORY for REAL LIFE. Well I can’t believe it, but have sold out the second edition,  but now are working on Volume 2, that will be released this Spring.

Today’s Freedom Fighter devotional was written by my dear friend and mentor, Dr. Roger Willmore, a frequent Bible teacher at America’s Keswick, and senior Pastor of Deerfoot Baptist Church, Trussville, Alabama.  It is a very timely devotional for this second day of the new year.

I once heard Stuart Briscoe say that God meets man on the level of his desire, man can have as much of God as he wants. 

If this statement is true, and I believe it is, then our level of desire to know God will affect the level of our intimate, personal knowledge of God.  Do you desire to know God with all your heart?  Or would you say that your pursuit of God is lukewarm?

Psalm 63 has been called the soul of the Psalms.  It is packed with expressions of David’s longing to know God, to serve God and to praise God.

The Psalm contains some practical guidelines to assist us in our pursuit of God.

First, we are to seek the Lord…early will I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh longs for you…(v.1).The psalmist is describing a seeking heart.  Do you want to know God?  Then seek after Him with your whole heart and soul.

Secondly, we are to remember the Lord…when I remember you…I meditate on you… (v.6).  The psalmist is describing how God occupies his mind.  This is a sign of the psalmist love for the Lord.  Is it not true that those we love are always on our mind?

Thirdly, we are to praise the Lord…my lips will praise you…(v.3).  The psalmist praised the Lord not only for what He had done, but for Who He was.  And my mouth shall praise you with joyful lips (v.5).

Do you long to know the Lord in a deeper more intimate way?

And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13).
Dr. Roger D. Willmore

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Proverbs 2; Psalm 2; Genesis 4-7

Compass Pointers: When we stand in the middle of a life storm, it seems as if the storm has become our way of life. We cannot see a way out. We are unable to chart a course back to smoother waters. We feel defeated - and broken. Will that brokenness produce a cynicism that will keep us forever in the mire of if only thinking? Or will we yield up that brokenness to the resources of One who calms the winds and the waves, heals the brokenhearted, and forgives the most grievous of sins? The choice is ours. Verdell Davis, in Riches Stored in Secret Places

Navigation Rules: Level 1: Proverbs 1:7; Level 2: Proverbs 1:1-7

Anchored to the Rock: I have resolved to pray more and pray always, to pray in all places where quietness inviteth, in the house, on the highway, and on the street; and to know no street or passage in this city that may not witness that I have not forgotten God. -- Sir Thomas Browne




No comments: