Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All God Ever Wanted

ALL GOD EVER WANTED
“I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy.”  (Psalm 116:1)

            I trusted in Jesus when just a child.  I was faithful through the early years but drifted in my teens.  By the time I was in my late twenties I was a drug addict.  After losing my marriage, my home, my career, my health, and my dignity, I entered a Christian rehab.  I was a long way from the little boy who walked with Jesus, but at least I knew the truth.

            A rehab isn’t where you dream of going when you’re growing up, but I actually enjoyed it.  Because I seemed happy and knew a lot about the Bible people looked up to me.  Lots of people thought that I was one of the ones that were going to make it.  I wasn’t so sure.  In fact, I knew what would happen. It would be only a matter of weeks, maybe days, and I would fall.  I always did. But I desperately didn’t want to. 

            So one night, I decided to settle it.  I spent the night in the chapel trying to give my will to God.  I surrendered all.  Again and again, I surrendered all.  I asked Him to make me an angel, or a tree, or anything that would obey him.  He’s God, isn’t he?  I remember laying there and begging him to slay me.  Hours passed and I realized that He hadn’t done a thing.  If I wanted to I could walk right out and do as I pleased.  That’s when I cried out, “Why won’t you do this?”  And that’s when I heard it.  In a voice that was not my own, God said, “Because then you can’t love me.”  Those six words changed my life.  I understood in a moment what most of the world has missed.  God wants to be loved. 

            Maybe today is a day to start over.  For all of us, I mean. (I’ve been faithfully serving God for fifteen years now.)  Maybe today we can see things as they really are.  As they always have been.  God loves you with the core of His being.  It’s something that he thinks about all the time.  It’s the way he feels inside.  Is it really so shocking that He craves your love?  It’s all He ever wanted anyway. Chris Thompson, and his family serve as missionaries in England. Chris is a dear friend and a graduate of the Colony of Mercy

GPS – God’s Positioning System: Genesis 41-42; Proverbs 26; Psalm 23

Compass Pointers: What God may hereafter require of you, you must not give yourself the least trouble about. Everything He gives you to do, you must do as well as ever you can, and that is the best possible preparation for what He may want you to do next. If people would but do what they have to do, they would always find themselves ready for what came next. George Macdonald

Navigation Rules: Level 1: Proverbs 4:18; Level 2: Proverbs 4:2-27

Anchored to the Rock: Cold prayers shall never have any warm answers. Thomas Brooks

No comments: