Monday, November 08, 2010

Developing an Ear for God

Developing an Ear for God

“I will stand on my guard post and station myself on the rampart; and I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me, and how I may reply when I am reproved.” Habakkuk 2:1

I shared this devotional with you in 2005 and 2009, and it bears repeating. It is a good reminder for me, and I trust for you as we begin a new week together.

Please note before I share Glynn Evan’s commentary (Daily with the  King) that I underlined two phrases in the above verse. So often we want to hear what God has to say for someone else? But Habakkuk was waiting to hear what God was going to say to HIS heart.

We can become so passionate about what we God to say to someone else that our ears become clogged to what He is trying to say to us. Listen to what Dr. Evans says about developing an ear for God:
I pray that God will enable me to become a good listener. I must understand that God does not speak to me in the storm, the earthquake, or the fire, but in the still small voice (1 Kings 19:9-12) …

Today’s complex life is the deadliest enemy of listening. The result of our complexity is fragmentation, thinness, and the inability to concentrate or become deep about anything. Satan is the happiest heir of our technological age, and he enjoys slapping us like a handball. I must resist him by deliberately choosing essentials and rejecting gadfly activities that render me ineffective.

How do I learn to be a good listener? I must begin by giving Him TIME and ATTENTION. That is the crucial part of the battle. I must reject the siren calls that tell me to be everything and everybody, and simply concentrate on God.

Next I must develop a sense of AWE and REVERENCE for God, which is a natural preparation for silence, which in turn is essential to proper listening. Once I develop an ear for God, I will be able to hear Him even in crowds and, as Brother Lawrence says, “God forward even in sleep.”

Listening to God is difficult to master, but the results will be beyond my greatest longings. He says, “Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and delight yourself in abundance (Isaiah 55:2). God knows that listening is the first step of a process that ends in my eternal good.

Are you a good listener? Have you developed a listening ear for God? He wants to speak to us, brothers. Open your ears and hear HIM speak. – Bill Welte is President and CEO of America’s Keswick


Dig This Quote: Temptation is to be avoided by fleeing what hinders, by following what helps, and by seeking the company of spiritual people. Ryrie Study Bible

Determined Digging: Level 1: John 8:31-32; Level 2: Isaiah 40:28-31

Determined Praying: God is still on the throne, we’re still on His footstool, and there’s only a knees distance between! – Jim Elliot


Men's Fellowship this Thursday Night at America's Keswick with Pastor Tim Shorey. Dinner 6:15 PM followed by program. Come and bring a friend! Call for reservations: 732-350-1187



No comments: