Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Secret Place

THE SECRET PLACE

“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high.” (Psalm 91:1)

            The idea must be one of the most compelling thoughts of the scriptures.  To think that one would be allowed to dwell in such a sacred and honored place seems beyond the reach of mortals. But there it is, not only with the possibility but also with a listing of some of the privileges and provisions.

            The choice to take full advantage of such a dwelling place would appear to be a decision fully made. In modern terminology it is a “no-brainer.”  Surely we will seize the opportunity.
            But then comes the haunting question of personal evaluation: What evidence do I have, and what evidence do I give, that I have chosen “the secret place of the Most High” as my dwelling place?

            Can others tell that I have been with Him?  Do I model His manners? Are His behavioral traits manifested in me? Am I comfortable in my communion with Him?  Do I maintain respect for the honor of His holiness while enjoying the pleasure of His closeness? Is the beauty of His peace clouded by the anxiety of my fears? Is every particle of my physical appearance manifesting respect for the significance of His Being?

            One who dwells in “the secret place of the most high” cannot overlook the seriousness of these questions.

            We go further, for the word tells us that he that Dwelleth “shall abide.”  There is consistency and continuity and reinforcement in the privilege.  My dwelling relationship is an abiding one also.  It is not an in and out, off and on visitation of convenience.  Time with Him is not based upon the dictate of crisis.  It is not modeled on an emergency room visit.  It is instead the delight and the discipline of steadfastness, to be always in His presence. 

            Why do I not feel as a stranger in His presence?  It is because He is mine, and I know that I am His. Why, in such a position, do I not feel odd or out of place?  It is because –
“I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress…
in Him I will trust.”(Psalm 91:2)

Dr. Robert L. Alderman is the minister-at-large at Shenandoah Baptist Church in Roanoke, VA and a popular speaker at America’s Keswick


Dig This Quote: Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.
Corrie Ten Boom

Determined Digging: Level 1: John 7:38; Level 2: Isaiah 9:6-7

Determined Praying: Do not work so hard for Christ that you have no strength to pray, for prayer requires strength. – j. Hudson Taylor

No comments: