Wednesday, May 05, 2010

What Are You Craving For Part 2


What Are You Craving For? (Part 2)

As the deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
I shared with you yesterday that this was not the devotional I was planning to share. But the Lord is working me personally through this, so you are getting some insight into my own heart and life.

What are you really craving for today? An honest answer to this question is the beginning of opening your heart to the truth. How I answer that question is really important. How would I answer that question in a small group session with men that are holding me accountable? Would I really be willing to be honest with them -- honest about what is REALLY going on in my heart? Would I be willing to be totally honest with Jan about what is REALLY going on in my heart?

James 4: 1-2 has an interesting perspective about what we so often are craving for: "Where do you think all the appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it. (The Message)

Wow! I read these verses yesterday in the Daily Light: Keep yourselves from idols (remember: we become what we worship!) Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts, and put before them that which causes them to stumble into iniquity. Put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry! For where your treasure it, there your heart is also. The Lord looks at the heart!

Now those verses were put together many years ago -- but I found that the Holy Spirit really used those verses to target my heart as they were grouped together. The bottom line is that what I crave (covetousness) becomes the idol of my heart. And according to the verses above, the idols of my heart will almost always cause me to stumble into sin. What I worship, I become. What I treasure in my mind is where my heart is!

So my question for me is this: what am I craving for in my heart? Are the idols of my heart more important to me that my love for HIM? Can I really say that I love the Lord my God with my whole mind, heart and strength? Is HE the One I worship and adore? Am I craving more and more of Him (set my mind on things above where Christ is) or am I craving the idols of this world?

I am searching my heart today. Will you join me in the journey? Can you identify the idols of your heart, my brother? Remember this: "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." And this is even more important: The Lord looks at our hearts! (1 Samuel 16:7) -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK
Dig This Quote: An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. G. K. Chesterton
Determined Digging: Level 1: Proverbs 4:18; Level 2: Psalm 63:1-5
We are coming down the home stretch! Our Family Freedom Walk is this Saturday, rain or shine. Have you made your pledge. And I forgot to tell you -- if the Lord brings in $60,000, they get to shave my head!!! Call today and make your Freedom Fighter gift: 732-350-1187. God bless.

No comments: