Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Want to Know You More (Part 3)

I Want To Know You More (Part 3)

"You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water." Psalm 61:1
Today I have the honor of conducting the interment of a dear friend of America's KESWICK who went home to be with the Lord on Friday at age 95.
Several years ago, Etta Schneider gave me one of her Bibles. You can learn much about a person by looking through their Bible. Etta's Bible is filled with notes written throughout the text, little poems and messages scotch taped throughout the Bible, and notes written on the front and back flyleaf's.
Etta had feet of clay just like you and me. But one thing is certain about her life -- she loved the God of the Bible and she delighted in His Word. The one thing that troubled her about these latter years was that her vision loss impaired her ability to dig deeper into God's Word.

Here is a poem that was pasted on the inside flap of her Bible:
Now, said this book unto me
Open my pages and you shall see
Jewels of wisdom and treasures fine
Gold and silver in every line
And you may claim them if you will
Open my pages and take your fill.
Open my pages and run them o'er
Take what you choose of my golden store
Be you greedy, I shall not care
All that you seize I shall gladly spare
There is never a lock on my treasure door
Come -- here are my jewels -- make them yours.
I have been just a book on your shelf
But I can be part of your living self
If only you'll travel my pages thru
Then I will travel the whole world with you.
As two wines blended make better wine (not a good Keswick phrase ...)
Blend your mind with these truths of mine,
I'll make you better to talk with men,
I'll touch with silver the lines you pen,
I'll lead you nearer the truth you seek
I'll strengthen you when your faith grows weak
This place on the shelf has been a prison cell
Let me come into your mind to dwell.
Make the Book live to me, O Lord!

Instill within my heart, dear Lord,
A deep desire to know Your Word;
I want to learn to hear Your voice
And always make Your will my choice.
Etta made the Book a priority in her life. This poem reflected the prayer of her life. David, the shepherd boy rose early to spend time with the Lord and in His law. It was a priority in his life. How about you? Do you have a passion to get to know Him and His Word?
Thanks, Etta, for loving God and His Word. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

Dig This Quote: You are to follow no man further than he follows Christ. John Collins
Determined Digging: Level 1: Proverbs 11:19; Level 2: Psalm 91:1-4
And you






No comments: