Thursday, April 22, 2010

Utterly Abandoned


Good morning, brothers. I need your help. I have been putting a tag on Freedom Fighters concerning our Family Freedom Walk on Saturday, May 8th to raise money for the Colony of Mercy. Right now the women who read VICTORY CALL are miles ahead in their support of the walk. Only one Freedom Fighter brother has given a gift.

Can I count on you today to help us? If the Lord brings in $60,000, they plan to shave my head! Yikes. But it would be worth it to help my brothers in the Colony of Mercy. You can contact my Administrative Assistant, Ruth Schmidt (732-350-1187, ext. 22) to give over the phone, or you can use this link to give on line: Donate for Family Freedom Walk. Thanks for you consideration

Utterly Abandoned

"Not by might not by my power, but by my spirit," says the Lord Almighty. Zechariah 4:6

I read these words this morning: utterly abandoned. In a moment I will share the poem from Streams in the Desert that pictures a life of being utterly abandoned to God.

One of the definitions of the word abandoned is to yield, resign, surrender, waive, abdicate. Most of the illustrations listed in the dictionary give negative uses of the word -- abandoned to negative things: drugs, sex, principles, and goodness. It is a picture of throwing it all away for a different way of life, not necessarily in a positive way.

The author of this poem redeems the word picture by suggesting that one can use abandoned in a positive way: yielding, resigning, surrendering, waiving ones rights to the Holy Spirit. Relinquishing our control and allowing Him to be the One to control us.

Utterly abandoned to the Holy Ghost!
Seeking all His fullness, whatever the cost!
Cutting all moorings, launching in the deep
Of His mighty power -- strong to save and keep.

Utterly abandoned to the Holy Ghost!
Oh! The sinking, sinking, until all is lost!
Until the emptied vessel lies broken at His feet;
Waiting till His filling shall make the work complete.

Utterly abandoned to the will of God;
Seeking for no other path than my Master trod;

Leaving ease and pleasure, making Him my choice,
Waiting for His guidance, listening for HIS voice.

Utterly abandoned! No will of my own;
From time and for eternity, His, and His alone;
All my plans and purposes lost in His sweet will,
Having nothing, yet in Hill all things still possessing.

Utterly abandoned! It's so sweet to be
Captive in His bonds of love, yet wondrously free;
Free from sin's entanglements, free from doubt and fear,
Free from every worry, burden, grief, or care.

Utterly abandoned! Oh, the rest is sweet,
As I tarry, waiting, at His blessed feet;

Waiting for the coming of the Guest divine,
Who my inmost being will perfectly refine.

Lo! He comes and fills me, Holy Spirit sweet!
I, in Him, am satisfied! I, in Him, complete!
And the light within my soul will never more grow dim.
While I keep my covenant -- abandoned unto Him!

Wow! The question for me and you today is this: Are we willing to be UTTERLY ABANDONED to Him? In every area of our lives? Or are we holding back and area that HE wants to control in our lives? We know the answer deep within our spirit. The question is, will we surrender it to HIM?

Could it be written on our tombstone: HE WAS UTTERLY ABANDONED TO GOD? Think about it! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 22; 2 Samuel 14-15; Luke 17:1-19

Dig This Quote: If I have not the patience of my Saviour with the souls who grow slowly; if I know little of travail (a sharp and painful thing) till Christ be fully formed in them, then I know nothing of Calvary love. Amy Carmichael

Determined Digging: Level 1 -- Psalm 139:23-24; Level 2 -- Psalm 51:14-19

No comments: