Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Wonder What is Worthy

I Wonder What Is Worthy

“For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.” Colossians 1:9-12 (NKJV)

I spent at least nine years coaching in some aspect of youth baseball. This is the first season that I am not. My son has started high school and tried out for the baseball team. They have their own coaching staff and really do not need any help. But this year will not happen for my son either. He got cut. He is handling this well too. He is looking forward to the possibility of working this summer with the summer staff at Keswick. One day Bill Welte told him it was going to happen anyway so he took him seriously. I guess we’ll see what happens there.

I remember the night I graduated the Colony. Wasn’t too sure what was going to happen but I had faith that somehow God would see me through. I got a job working for ten dollars an hour. At least I had a job. Then I got laid-off. At least I was able to collect unemployment. Then went back to work a month later and I haven’t looked back since. And God has brought me through those times where I would wonder if I was even this worthy to be blessed the way I was being blessed.

Paul wrote to the Colossians while he was in prison. He was so encouraged to hear about what they had begun in their hearts. Their faith in Christ, the love they had for the saints and the hope they were laying up in heaven. His prayer for them is that the Colossians “may walk worthy of the Lord.” It was important to Paul they live in a manner that could reflect what God had been doing for them and in them. Funny thing to note here is that the pagans who worshipped rocks and logs knew that they had to walk worthy in accordance with their false gods.

I often wonder if I walk worthy of the Lord. You never can tell if you are walking worthy until someone else notices. You never know if you are not unless someone else notices for that matter. My wife and I had recently been approached about an opportunity to serve in ministry. The folks that asked us if we consider serving are people that we both look at as people who are at a level of walking we would like to get be in step with. And at times I know I’ve personally made them both scratch their heads and wonder.

So like I said you can never tell who is watching you walk or even hearing about it. Paul heard about the Colossians walking worthy of the Lord while in prison. I drive to work every morning listening to the latest downloaded sermon (lately it has been John MacArthur) and hear things that bring conviction to my heart. And yet I still walk. You know, I feel there does come a point in mans walk where he can say in his heart that he doesn’t care about what other people think, say or offer. There is nothing like looking down and seeing only one set of footprints in the sand and you know that they are not yours. Santo!! -- Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and serves on the leadership team of Families for Christ. He is a frequent contributor to Freedom Fighter

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 13; 1 Samuel 22-24; Luke 12:1-31

Dig This Quote: “Good words will not do without good works. He who undertakes to give strength to his people, is a God of power, and of glorious power. The blessed Spirit is the author of this. In praying for spiritual strength, we are not straitened, or confined in the promises, and should not be so in our hopes and desires. The grace of God in the hearts of believers is the power of God; and there is glory in this power.” —Matthew Henry Concise

Determined Digging: Level 1 -- Psalm 127:1; Level 2 -- Psalm 51:10-13

No comments: