Sunday, February 28, 2010

Worship and Service

Worship and Service

"Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you." Psalm 63:3

Today is the Lord's day, and I trust that you have been preparing your heart to worship Him today -- not just because of WHAT He has done in your life, but because of WHO He is!

Are you satisfied with Him today? Just HIM? Is He enough for you and me? This quote from John Piper really gripped my heart this week:

What satisfies are not the gifts of God, but the glory of God – the glory of His love, the glory of His power, the glory of His wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth. We do not honor the refreshing, self-replenishing, pure water of a mountain spring by lugging buckets of water up the path to make our contributions from the ponds below. We honor the spring by feeling thirsty, getting down on our knees, and drinking with joy. Then we say, “Ahhhhhh!” (that’s worship), and we go on our journey in the strength of the fountain (that’s service!). The mountain spring is glorified most when we are most satisfied with its water.

To be satisfied in God is the essence of what it means to love God. Loving God may include obeying all His commands; it may include believing all His Word; it may include thanking Him for all His gifts; but the essence of loving God is enjoying all He is. It is this enjoyment of God that glorifies His worth most fully, especially when all around our soul gives way. -- John Piper

The hymn write expressed it this way:

All my life long I had panted
For a drink from some cool spring
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within.

Feeding on the food around me
Till my strength was almost gone,
Longed my soul for something better,
Only still to hunger on.

Well of water, ever springing,
Bread of life, so rich and free!
Untold wealth that never faileth,
My Redeemer is to me.

Refrain
Hallelujah! I have found Him --
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings;
Through His blood I now am saved.

I trust that today you are satisfied with Him and Him alone! Worship Him today -- our audience of ONE! -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 28; Numbers 17-19; Mark 6:30-56

Dig This Quote: Christ living in me is the whole secret of being conformed to His image. If Christ is dwelling in my heart I must necessarily be Christlike. His character must be manifested in my daily walk and conversation. – Hannah Whitall Smith

Determined Digging: (Level 1) Psalm 30:5; (Level 2) Psalm 37:23-36

No comments: