Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Praying from a Close Relationship

Praying From a Close Relationship

"And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight." 1 John 3:22

Sometimes we think prayer is like using our "genie in a bottle." We forget that are are some perquisites for answers to prayer like two that are mentioned in the verse about.

Dr. Glynn Evans in his daily devotional, DAILY WITH HE KING (Moody Press) shares some insight about praying from a close relationship:

I will renew with God my covenant of prayer. Theoretically, I have always believed in prayer. Practically, my life has been strewn with pleas that were never answered.

How can I square such failure with the clear teaching of Jesus? "Ask, and it shall be given" (Matthew 7:7), "whatever you ask in My name, that will I do" (John 14:13).

Jesus encourages me to ask anything, to ask repeatedly and unashamedly, and to keep on asking until the answer comes.

But haven't we been taught to pray "If it be Thy will?" Shouldn't we defer to God's sovereign control of things and try to get on the inside track with Him before asking?

However, there are conditions to answered prayer:

1. I cannot "regard iniquity in my heart" (Psalm 66:18), that is, give iniquity place, time, and attention.

2. I cannot "ask amiss," that is to further my lustful desires (James 4:3).

3. I cannot be "wavering" (James 1:6), that is, wanting something so little that it really makes no difference whether I get it or not.

4. I must "abide" in Christ (John 15:7). To abide in Him means to be drawn toward Him as a flower is drawn toward the sun.

Now I begin to see what answered prayer really means: a life of total dedication to God, a life lived in Him that is so real that I can discern His desires, His mind, His will. If I pray from the midst of that intimate relationship, my prayers will never fail. When I reach that point I will never need to ask, "If it be Thy will." The Christian who keeps asking God for the benefit of His will does not know Him in a deep, abiding way. The Christian who is constantly a delight to God will be one to whom God will reveal His mind.

Brothers, are you praying from a close relationship today? Abide in Him and watch Him work. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

Digging Deeper: Proverbs 24; Numbers 7-8; Mark 4:21-41

Dig This Quote: The enemy not only wants to OCCUPY our souls and minds, but he wants to VEX our spirits. He must find ways to disconnect is from communion with God. This dulls our intuition and robs us of an overcoming testimony. He annoys, agitates, and confounds us, and he strives to make us anxious over our destiny. The enemy employs schemes and tactics to change times and laws to make our faith empty. He understands the power of unity better than we do, and he knows how to thwart the power of oneness with our Creator. Much anxiety comes because we agree to go along with the enemy’s covenant-breaking strategies. – Chuck D. Pierce

Determined Digging: (Level 1) Psalm 28:7; (Level 2) Psalm 37: 3-11

No comments: