Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Four Faces


The Four Faces

“Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James and John his brother, led them up a high mountain by themselves; and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. Then Peter answered and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, let us make here three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” Matthew 17:1-4 (NKJV)

During the fall of last year I was attending a KIBS class on the “Sermon on the Mount” and one night we were having a discussion that lead to the Tabernacle and there being a copy of one in Lancaster, Pa. As it turns out I had been one of the few in the class who did not see this attraction, so out of the blue I told my wife (Kathy) that I wanted to go out there and see this. Now she had done a Bible study on the Tabernacle and its relationship to Jesus and the Cross so it seemed relevant to go. Just as a side note my kids thought I was nuts to travel to Clippity-Clop Land to see a tent…with them in tow. So, I bought a nice lunch…afterwards.

Well since that trip the Men’s Bible study that I participate in on Tuesday night’s has decided to study the Tabernacle. I also heard about the Tabernacle from the weirdest place. I-Tunes!! I downloaded a sermon on what I thought was going to be focused on the “Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse” but it went into the Tabernacle and the four faces of Jesus. The Pastor talked about how we need to live by what the four sides of the Tabernacle represent and how they protect us from the four winds of the Horsemen. (That one might be a stretch.)

So from what I am understanding the camp that surrounded the Tabernacle had to be set-up a certain way. The twelve tribes had to camp by their own standard, beside the emblems of his father’s house (Num 2:1-34). Now this is where it get’s interesting for me. These emblems, after some research, just may represent the four face of Jesus before the throne (Rev 4:2-8). The tribe of Judah camped to the east; their banner has the face of a lion. The tribe of Ephraim camped to the west; their banner has the face of a calf or oxen. The tribe of Reuben camped to the south; their banner has the face of man. The tribe of Dan camped to the north; their banner has the face of an eagle.

Now these faces also are represented as the four faces of Jesus in the Gospels. The Lion for Matthew dignifying Jesus as King of the Jews, the Ox for Mark portraying Jesus as an obedient and laboring servant of God. Then we have Man to represent Luke as this Gospel represents Jesus as “the Son of Man”, a phrase that Jesus used for Himself numerous times and then the Eagle for John. This is a symbol that dignifies Jesus as royalty, the Son of God who came from Heaven.

If we had God’s point of view from Heaven, we could look down and see the Cross. At the center we would see God being surrounded by the four faces of Jesus. And when the twelve tribes packed up, got into formation and marched while they followed the Pillar of Fire or the Cloud of Smoke, it was in the form of a cross. I’m looking forward to the rest of this study and praise God that this has been showed to me. I think it is no coincidence that God can be found on I-tunes. Where are you finding Him brother? -- Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy and a frequent contributor to Freedom Fighter

DIGGING DEEPER: Proverbs 3; Exodus 31-33; Matthew 22:1-22

DIG THIS QUOTE: “This is what Jesus prays for us: “Father, show them my glory and give them the very delight in me that you have in me.” Oh, may we see Christ with the eyes of God and savor Christ with the heart of God. That is the essence of heaven. That is the gift Christ came to purchase for sinners at the cost of His death in our place.” John Piper “Pierced by the Word”

DETERMINED DIGGING: Level 1 -- Psalm 16:8; Level 2 -- Psalm 23

No comments: