Friday, November 06, 2009

Developing a Sensitivity To Sin

Developing a Sensitivity to Sin

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us ..." Hebrews 12:1

We've talked much about sin in recent weeks, and I know that God has been working in my heart in a powerful way, in helping me to see my sin from HIS point of view. Its a subject that we need to come back to often so that we can appreciate and appropriate the grace of God in our lives all the more.

The weird thing about sin is that if we do not view it from God's perspective, we can easily be entangled by it as the verse about expresses. God's desire is that we develop a sensitivity to sin. I read this quote today by Dr. Glynn Evans, a former professor at Moody Bible Institute:

God simply wants me to get my fill of sin so completely that the very thought of it nauseates me ... Lord, my prayer is, make me so sensitive to sin that its slightest presence will send me to Calvary's fountain for protection! The distinguishing feature of any true disciple of Christ is paper-thin sensitivity to sin. I notice that in reading the biographies of the saints -- the slightest sin made them mourn, weep, and agonize. Lord, make me averse to sin like that, for when I am averse to sin it means the Holy Spirit is deliberately refining me in the divine image; the new heart and the right spirit are displacing the old and wrong. (Psalm 51:10)

Is that your prayer this morning, brothers? If we do not see sin from God's perspective, we will continue to be entangled in our sin. Are we bold enough to plead to God for that "paper-thin" sensitivity to sin? That's my prayer today. How about you?

I was reminded this week of the old hymn "Whiter than Snow":

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole.
I want You forever to live in my soul.
Break down every idol, cast out every foe.
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

May this be the prayer of our hearts today. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 6; Jeremiah 37-39; Hebrews 3

Great Quote: I urge you a nearer communion with Christ, and a growing communion. There are curtains to be opened in Christ that we have never seen before, and new layers of love in Him. I despair that I will ever make it to the far end of that love, there are so many layers in it. Therefore dig deep, and sweat, and labor. Take pains for Him, and set aside as much time as you can in each day for Him. Samuel Rutherford

No comments: