Monday, April 06, 2009

More on Preaching the Gospel to Yourself

More on Preaching the Gospel to Yourself

"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit ..." Ephesians 1:3

I am still learning about the concept of preaching the gospel to myself daily. It is a fascinating journey and one that I pray you will go on with me. The gospel is certainly at the core of the events that we will celebrate this week as we reflect on Christ's death on the cross, his burial, and his glorious resurrection.

Dr. Jerry Bridges reminded me in his new book, The Bookends of the Christian Life (Crossway) the gospel is for sinners. Are you a sinner? Do you do battle with sin in your life? Then the gospel is for YOU. On his deathbed at age 82, John Newtown, the composer of Amazing Grace, declared, "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior!"

Dr. Bridges suggests that we consider the promises of God as we preach the gospel daily to ourselves. Here is his suggested pattern:

Every Day: God, be merciful to me, the sinner! (Like 18:13 NASB)

Sunday: But he was wounded for MY transgressions of _____________; he was crushed for MY iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought ME peace, and with His stripes I am healed. Like a sheep, I have gone astray; I have turned to my own way; and the Lord has laid on Him MY iniquity. (Isaiah 53:5-6)

Monday: He will again have compassion on ME; he will tread MY iniquities of ____________ under foot. You will cast MY sins into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:19)

Tuesday: Blessed am I, whose lawless deeds of ________________ are forgiven, and MY sins are covered; blessed am I against whom the Lord will not count MY sin. (Romans 4:7-8)

Wednesday: There is therefore now no condemnation for _____________ for me, as one who is in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)

Thursday: And I, who was dead in MY trespasses of ____________________ and the uncircumcision of MY flesh, having forgiven ME ALL MY transgressions, by cancelling the record of debt that stood against ME with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Colossians 2:13-14)

Friday: As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove MY transgressions of _______________ from ME. (Psalm 103:12)

Saturday: Though MY sins of _______________ are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall become like wool. (Isaiah 1:18

Every day: Christ's work for ME is finished! (John 19:30)


Start today -- preach the Gospel to yourself. Will you join me? -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK and a "gospel-learner!"

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 6; 1 Samuel 4-6; Luke 9:1-17

Great Quote: When Christ entered into Jerusalem the people spread garments in the way: when He enters into our hearts, we pull off our own righteousness,and not only lay it under Christ's feet but even trample upon it ourselves. Augustus Toplady





No comments: