Thursday, March 05, 2009

Watch Where You Walk

Watch Where You Walk

Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Do not swerve to the right or the left; turn your face away from evil. -- Proverbs 4:25 ESV

Last night I had a flashback. I was walking to my car around 8:45 PM. I needed to go pick up our son Zach from youth group. I wasn't watching where I was walking, and I almost went flying through the air when I stepped onto a patch of ice.

It took me back to one of the ice storms we had at Sandy Cove many years ago. The ice was so thick that the kids could skate of the parking lot with just their shoes! The fields and roads were thick with ice.

I needed to take one of the kid's friends home, and Jan asked me to deliver a pie to the family. I walked out in the dark to the car, not watching were I was walking -- hit a patch of ice -- and went flying through the air landing in a heap! The pie was totaled and I was toast.

Several years ago, I broke my leg in Bermuda. That's another story for another time -- but needless to say, ever since then, I have found myself being way more cautious watching WHERE I walk. I find myself looking at the steps before I climb down them. I find myself checking the lay of the land before venturing out on an unknown path. Maybe it is my age -- but I don't want to fall and break my again.

Proverbs makes it clear that we need to PONDER the path of our feet. The word ponder means to "think with your head." I like that -- It is something that we do INTENTIONALLY rather than haphazardly. Maybe the reason that so many of us find ourselves walking in the wrong places is that we haven't given much thought about walking in the right places. Maybe it is time to THINK about where and how you are walking. Are you looking ahead? Marking out the path? Or are you distracted and looking all around. If you aren't paying attention, you could walk on a land mine that could be disastrous for you and your family. It's certainly something to think about. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 5; Numbers 32-34; Mark 9:30-50

Great Quote: Be ye angry, and sin not; therefore all anger is not sinful, because some degree of it, and on some occasions, is inevitable. But it becomes sinful and contradicts the rule of Scripture when it is conceived upon slight and inadequate provocation, and when it continues long. William Paley

No comments: