Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Next Step

The Next Step

"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain”Exodus 20:7b

This verse took on a whole new meaning for me a few years ago. I used to think that this only meant that I can’t say a curse word with Jesus’ name in it. The phrase “in vain” can also mean to use the Lord’s name for an empty or of no use (not good ) purpose.

During my walk with the Lord, as I travel through this sanctification process and having the victorious Christian life message being lived out and taught here at Americas Keswick, I’ve discovered a major stumbling block that I can easily miss. You see, when I was in my addiction I wanted out, and Jesus came along and I thought, great, I’ll receive Christ as my Savior and all my problems will be gone. We call that the “magic pixie dust” at the Colony.

One truth that this verse has brought to my attention is, if Jesus is only my Savior than the next step is to make him Lord. A lot of us have a Savior, but have you made Him Lord of your life? It was during a phone conversation with a grad of the colony, who decided to start drinking again that I made a statement that really offended him. He was telling me that “the Lord” was still blessing him through this time of rebellion. In the middle of the conversation I realized that it bothered me that he was calling Jesus his Lord. I remember stating with a stern voice, “Jesus might be your Savior but don’t call Him your Lord”. Men, at that moment I realized the difference, and it opened my eyes to what “taking the Lords name in vain” could mean.

Please don’t get me wrong, Jesus is our Savior, and that’s huge but until we make Him Lord we can not experience the victorious Christian life. Jesus said "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say? (Luke 6:46). Eternity with Jesus starts the day we accept Him as Savior and Lord.

Here’s some advice I received when I was in the Colony after asking how to make Him Lord of my Life. “Son, you must fall in love with Jesus”, and then Chaplain John Caruthers said than you must “YIELD”! -- Rob Russomano is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy, and serves on the Maintenance team at America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 1; Number 20-222; Mark 7:1-13

Great Quote: How diligently the cavalry officer keeps his sabre clean and sharp;every stain he rubs off with the greatest care. Remember you are God's word, His instrument-I trust, a chosen vessel unto Him to bear His name. In great measure, according to the purity and perfection of the instrument, will be the success. Robert Murray M'Cheyne

No comments: