Friday, March 20, 2009

Don't Ask for the Obvious

Don't Ask for the Obvious

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places ..." Ephesians 1:3

Before I share today's Freedom Fighter, I just want to make sure that I clarify something from yesterday's devotional. Nobody wrote this to me, but just in case someone was thinking it ... I am very proud of my son-in-law, Garrett. He is a great Dad and husband. I wasn't trying to point out in my illustration regarding Emma that he was a bad Dad by doing the little ditty he did with her. I asked his permission to relate the story, but just in case one of the saints took it wrong -- he's a super Dad!

I have been thinking about this verse for years. My walking buddy asked me the other day what book of the Bible was my favorite. Without hesitation, the answer -- the book of Ephesians! Dr. Douglas B. MacCorkle, former president of Philadelphia Biblical University taught a class on the Pauline epistles, and his love for this book set me on fire.

I find that sometimes in my prayer life, I ask God for the obvious. How many times I have asked God to bless this or that, whether it be a service, a project, a dream. And yet I haven't taken the time to fully comprehend or grasp the things that He has already provided in blessing me!

Dr. Steve McVey, President of Grace Walk, and a speaker this summer at America's KESWICK wrote this in his March 2009 newsletter:

The need is not that God should give us something that we don’t have. The need is that we should know what we do have. Paul didn’t pray for the church to receive more. He prayed that they would understand what they already had. In Ephesians 1:17-19 Paul prays, “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.

I am purposing to think through the blessings that I already have received because I am IN CHRIST, and asking God this year to help me understand the depth of the blessing He has already bestowed on me. How about you? Will you join me in the process? Take some time today to read through the first chapter of the book of Ephesians. You might be shocked to find out how He has already blessed you. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU -- Proverbs 20; Joshua 4-6; Luke 1:1-20

Great Quote: We are supernatural people, born again by a supernatural birth, kept by a supernatural power, sustained on supernatural food, taught by a supernatural Teacher from a supernatural Book. We are led by a supernatural Captain in right paths to assured victories. The risen Saviour, ere He ascended on high, said: 'All power is given unto Me. Go ye therefore."James Hudson Taylor


No comments: