Friday, February 13, 2009

Facebook Stalker

Facebook Stalker

"Love not the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but from the world. And the world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God abides forever." 1 John 2:15-17

Several months ago opened a Facebook account. I did so for a number of reasons, one to reconnect with friends from the past. While it has been fun to reconnect, my heart has also grieved numerous times as I have looked at pictures from friends of all ages.

One of the things that has grieved me is to see how many of my Christian friends and kids that I have loved so focused on drinking in their pictures. (One of my friends called me a "Facebook Stalker :)"

Maybe it is because my Dad was a horrible alcoholic before he was saved and realizing what his life could have been like apart from the Lord.

Maybe it is because I have seen the devasting affects that alcohol has had on the hundreds of families who have come to the Colony of Mercy for help. I've not met anyone who has become an alcoholic in our circles that hasn't said that their problem started with the first drink.

Maybe it is because we have dear friends who lost a son in a horrific automobile accident as a result of a drunk driver.

Maybe it is because we have seen how social drinking almost led to the downfall of an entire church.

While I certainly recognize that there are differences on the subject of Christian liberties, and while I recognize that my position could appear to be "elder-brotherish," I do feel compelled to challenge you to give serious consideration to the deadly effects that dabbling in these issues can bring upon you, your family and the body of Christ.

The founder of AA in the latter years of his life, desperately craved alcohol even on his deathbed. His life was torn to pieces at the end because of the sinful choices that he made after so many years of teaching about the dangers it caused.

Maybe I am overreacting. Maybe not. But I feel that it is important for us to talk to the Lord about these issues. God's grace has given us wonderful liberties. The question is -- am I making the right choices. Something to think about. -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 13; Leviticus 14; Matthew 26:51-75

Great Quote: Too busy; O forgive, Dear Lord, that I should ever be, too much engrossed in earthly tasks, to spend an hour with thee. A. B. Christiansen

No comments: