Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Fixed and Loyal Heart

A Fixed and Loyal Heart (1 Chronicles 29:18&19)

Reading God's Word regularly brings good reminders to our lives, often just when we need them. God caught my attention one day this week while I was doing my regular reading. His Word reminded me that I need to respond to His work in me if I want to remain loyal to Him.

The end of 1 Chronicles has David praying for his son, Solomon and for His people. David's reign is ending; Solomon will succeed him and build the temple. The father has done all he can to prepare his son and the people of Israel for the task they face. All the building materials are
ready. The workers are in place. The plans are drawn. The issues on David's heart address Solomon's walk with God, and the heart condition of his people.

So, he prays. O Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, our fathers, keep this forever in the thoughts of the heart of Your people, and fix their heart toward You. And give my son Solomon a loyal heart to keep Your commandments and Your testimonies and Your statues, to do all these things and build Your temple for which I have made provision.

I invite you to consider two parts of David's prayer. First, he prays for his people to have hearts that are fixed toward God. It's a prayer for focus. It's a prayer that reminds me of a good Bible word-steadfastness. David asks God to do a work in the hearts of His people that will stabilize them and keep them attached to Him. It's a work God does through His power at work in His people. In the New Testament setting, it is God's Spirit at work in us empowering us to stay focused on the God who saves us and loves us.

David shifts the focus of his prayer from the people to his son. He prays that God will give Solomon a "loyal heart." Nothing should capture Solomon's heart. God deserves his undivided heart. It's interesting that he doesn't tell Solomon to "have" a loyal heart. Rather, he asks God to "give" Solomon a loyal heart. David's prayer reminds me that we can't do the things that he asked God to do.

The prayer also offers me fresh ways to pray for myself and those I care about. Since reading these words earlier this week, I've prayed that God will give me a fixed heart and a loyal heart. As I write this Freedom Fighter, I pray that He will give those who read it fixed and loyal hearts.

If you're reading this, you may want to pray the same way. - Pastor John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River.

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 14; Proverbs 19-21; 2 Corinthians 7

Great Quote: I've often thought, I'm nobody. Why would God answer my prayer? But God's not impressed by eloquence; he's impressed by our longing for Him. -- Stormie Omartian

No comments: