Monday, September 08, 2008

Don't Stop Being Teachable

DON'T STOP BEING TEACHABLE

"I love those who love me; and those who diligently seek me will find me." Proverbs 8:17

Some of my greatest heroes are much older than me. In fact, most of my heroes are in their late 70's, 80's and 90's. In fact, that hasn't changed much in my lifetime.

As a kid, my Mom and Dad always had "seasoned citizens" at our dinner table. I learned at an early age to respect and value men and women who are older. One of the key characteristics that I have observed in the lives of my heroes is that they continue to be teachable even when they are at the age that many are saying, "I know it all."

I think of men that are well into their 80's that talk to me about books they are reading, classes they are taking to expand their horizons, and trips that they are taking that are educational. I think of Dr. Howard Hendricks who is in his mid-80's and still teaching at Dallas Theological Seminary. He was influenced at a young age by men and women from Fellowship Church in Philadelphia. Many of his mentors were folks who made a life-long commitment to being teachable.

In his book, TALENT IS NEVER ENOUGH, Dr. John C. Maxwell gives a list 10 questions that will help determine if we have a teachable spirit. Look at the list this morning and ask yourself the question ... Am I teachable?

1. Am I open to other people's ideas?
2. Do I listen more than I talk?
3. Am I open to changing my opinion based on new information?
4. Do I readily admit when I am wrong?
5. Do I observe before acting on a situation?
6. Do I ask questions?
7. Am I willing to ask a question which will expose my ignorance?
8. Am I open to doing things in a way which I haven't done before?
9. Am I willing to ask for directions?
10. Do I act defensive when criticized, or do I listen openly for the truth?

At 54, I want to have a teachable spirit, not just professionally, but in my walk with the Lord. That's why it is important to read God's Word and to spend time with Him. Reading through the book of Proverbs has given me so much insight into the issues of life. This next 30 days, you will note at the bottom that we will be reading two chapters in Proverbs each day. Use this time to ask the Lord to teach you. You are teachable, right? -- Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: Proverbs 3-5; Proverbs 8; 2 Corinthians 1

Great Quote: What is it to serve God and to do His will? Nothing else than to show mercy to our neighbour. For it is our own neighbour who needs our service; God in heaven needs it not.-- Martin Luther

No comments: