Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Believer's Obituary Notice

Today's devotional was written by Dr. William A. Raws, known to many of us as, Pastor Bill. It is a classic devotional on victorious Christian living.

THE BELIEVER'S OBITUARY NOTICE

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and give Himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

A comedian said that the first thing he turned to in the morning newspaper was the obituary column. If he didn't find his name there, he was good for another day. In the spiritual realm there are numerous New Testament verses which declare the fact that, in identification with Jesus Christ, the believer has died to sin and self. His death has been legally applied to us. In a very real sense, when He hung on the cross and died for my sin, I died with Him. I no longer have responsibility to live the life of sin and bondage. Now there is a new life principle within me - "Christ lives in me."

Our theme verse provides a spiritual obituary notice which declares that I am dead to the law which condemns me for my sin (v. 19). Death always changes relationships. That which controlled my life under sin can no longer control me - I died to it (see Romans 6:3-7). In order for this to become real in my life, I must reckon myself dead to sin (Romans 6:11). There are those who feel that they must die to self, and they work at it. The problem is that they are too late. The Bible says that they have already died in Jesus Christ. One Bible teacher thought that it might help if he could rent a coffin and then invite the congregation to file past it. He planned to place a mirror in it so that as they filed by, they would see themselves in the coffin.

But the scripture does not leave us as spiritual corpses. We are declared to be alive in a new relationship - "Christ lives in me." His life is imparted when a person is born again, and it is His desire that His life should be lived out through that new believer. When an appeal is made for a Christian to act independently of Christ, the issue can be resolved by asking, "Whose life is it, after all?" "How would Jesus live and act in this situation?" On the basis of the biblical answers to these questions the response should be to allow His life control - we must yield to Him.

Our identification in the work of the cross and in the risen life of Christ is not a feeling but realized by faith in the Son of God. As a result of faith resting on these facts, the child of God can enjoy freedom from the domination of sin. In yielding to the risen Christ and allowing Him to have full control of the life there is victory. Pastor William A. Raws

God's WORD for You: Proverbs 18; Proverbs 30-31; 2 Corinthians 11:1-15

Great Quote: The truths that I know best I have learned on my knees. I never know a thing well, till it is burned into my heart by prayer.-- John Bunyan

No comments: