Monday, June 16, 2008

Get an Attitude

"Get an Attitude" (Philippians 2:5-11)

I had the privilege Thursday evening of speaking for the commencement service at Ambassador Christian Academy, the Christian school that is a ministry of First Baptist Church. It was the first time in a long time that I'd spoken specifically to a group of eighth graders, and I struggled with how to build a bridge into their lives.

Middle-schoolers are known for having an "attitude," and that thought prompted the idea around which I built my message. I thought I'd share it with you today since all of us can benefit from getting a "new attitude." I built my thoughts around an acrostic of the word "attitude." Think with me about this "new attitude."

Accountable to the Lord Jesus Christ

"If you love Me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

Teachable before the Lord Jesus Christ

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:29)

Tenacious in pursuit of the Lord Jesus Christ

(Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13&14)

Intimate with the Lord Jesus Christ

"Jesus said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind." (Matthew 22:37)

Truthful as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ

"Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed in Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:31&32)

Unencumbered in walking with the Lord Jesus Christ

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right had of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1&2)

Disciplined in living for the Lord Jesus Christ

"But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:27)

Engaged in the cause of the Lord Jesus Christ

"Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (Luke 9:23)

I've offered no comments . . . I pray that God's Spirit will encourage each of us to pursue an attitude like that which Jesus displayed when He stepped into our world. - John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River

God's WORD for YOU: Nehemiah 4-6; Acts 2:22-24

Think about this: If Jesus needed to pray - being what He was, how must we need it - being what we are. James Stalker

No comments: