Friday, May 09, 2008

What are You Doing to Further the Kingdom?

Luke 8:35, 39 – “Then they went out to see what had happened, and came to Jesus, and found the man from whom the demons had departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid….. Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you.” And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him.”

From the day I had accepted Jesus into my heart as my Lord and Savior I started planning. I know I had said “I do” to the Creator of heaven and earth. I was confident He had a wonderful plan for my life, but what? How could I be used by God? Who did I most resemble? This new life would require much thought and preparation on my part. So I did what any new believer who felt God pulling on his heart would do, I started the work of predicting God. I wasn’t quite sure which saint in the Bible He was going to mold me after, but it was probably one of the greats. Maybe I would be the next Paul. We both had been misguided zealots before Jesus intervened on our behalf. I’m sure I could bring His gospel to all four corners of the earth – just like Paul. It didn’t take long before I knew that wasn’t His plan for me. That’s ok, I was probably more like David the shepherd-king anyway. We were both capable of unspeakable sin in our hearts. But David wasn’t the man either. Then Jacob, or how about Jonah? I am just like Jonah – I too will run to the end of the earth to escape God’s perfect and pleasing will. But God made quick work of that one too, He told me I wasn’t worthy of the deluxe accommodations in a fish’s belly. Then who? Oh no, not Job! Anybody but Job.

But God, who is rich in mercy revealed His plan. A simple command for a simple guy; “Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you.” And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him.” (Luke 8:39) That was me, a demon-possessed homeless man. Completely controlled by my sinful lifestyle dwelling in the darkness. When Jesus brought me out of the darkness into His marvelous light – it became clear, Go and tell my friends what Jesus did for me and what great compassion He had on me. Stop concerning myself with what the ‘Pauls’ and the ‘King Davids’ and the ‘Jonahs’ were doing for His Kingdom, but what I am doing to further His Kingdom here on earth.

For me; it is to tell everyone what a Wonderful Savior I serve, to let everybody see what great compassion He had on a miserable demon-possessed wretch like me.

What are you doing today to further His Kingdom here on earth? Or are you still waiting to find out who you’re going to be?

No comments: