Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rest

REST

Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

Rest for a while your toilsome business. Fact: God is here! A great sin unto the Lord is that God's eternal presence is here and we refuse to or cannot feel Him. In today's day and age, we move quickly. This is the 21st century. We have e-mail, text and instant messaging and split second access to almost anything we can think of. We won't wait for much. Satan must be reveling in our haste. We can justify ourselves by claiming "not enough time in a day," or "who could possibly make time for everything?" But this deception is one of Satan's most useful schemes. To take our eyes off Jesus and place them on the things of this world is a victory for Satan. God gave us free will. But why do we so freely take our eyes off Him? Of course we rush to Him in times of trouble. Are you like me? Do you beg for His help when things get too difficult? Can you honestly admit in any practical way the discipline of waiting on God? Have you sat quietly seeking His face? Reaching for His all sufficient hand to guide you or listening for His voice to quietly whisper to you?

Fact: The whole universe is alive with God! He is the Creator of heaven and earth, things seen and unseen. Do you treat Him as a stranger in your life? I know I do. He made it possible for me to have communion with Him and I insist on ignoring Him. The Bible teaches me that: if I draw near to God, He will draw near to me. But who really has that much time? If I was to look at what I really do with my time I know I do. I want to think that He is hiding from me, but the truth is He is never far away, He has many wonderful ways of drawing us to Himself, we just need to be still and allow His presence to surround us. "Indeed it would seem as though the deepest truths come only in moments of profound devotional silence and contemplation." - Charles H. Brent. When we pursue a relationship with Jesus, He will reveal Himself to us. Our responsibility is to stand firmly in our faith. To cling tightly to Him. To loosen our grip on the things of this world and tighten our grip on the things of God. The material things of this world and our busy lives should be a distant second to seeking out the Source of our soul. It is high time to heed the psalmist's words and "Be still and know that He is God." -- Chris Connors is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy. Chris, and his wife Donna, serve at America's KESWICK

God's Word for You: 2 Kings 17-18; John 3:19-36

Daily Quote: If you would judge of the lawfulness or the unlawfulness of pleasure, then take this simple rule: Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, and takes off the relish of spiritual things - that to you is sin. Susannah Wesley

No comments: