Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Pebble in the Pathway

A Pebble in the Pathway

"What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. And you are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel." James 4: 1-2

Ah...to work in the secular world. I wake up to this statement pretty regularly these days. It's the "busy season" for me and praise God that it truly is busy. Or I would be saying "Ah...to be unemployed."

I drive to work listening to preachers or teachers (Dr. Jamie Mitchell's in the disk player...don't ask why) and arrive with a message. Until I walk in the door. Then in some unforeseen turn of events there is chaos and disorder. This would have not been too much to deal with in my youth but the times have changed...and so have I.

The battle for position and favor can be immense. The way I hear some folks speak of others has really become too much to bear. And you know what? Sometimes I'm catching myself with a slip or two. What a wretched man I can be. And then I stumble upon these verses in James. Gut check time, again.

Every once in a while I hit a pebble in my walk. The world can rub you until you get a skid mark or two but as a doer of the Word I should be more aware of my surroundings. I know James wrote these verses to those believers outside of Jerusalem at the time but they are just as useful now. People are going to want what they do not have and they will make others look bad to get it. Even if it kills them.

Brothers are you driving to this scene everyday like me? Was there a message you had or a glow you wanted to share with the "world" and it did not even take notice? You are not alone. Jesus walked this earth and had trials with the same kind of folks you and I deal with on a daily basis. He remained steadfast and they killed Him on the cross. A price you or I could not pay. I think I need to remember that before I walk through the door at work. I think you should too.

Here's a good quote,

"Those who let God be God get off the conveyer belt of emotion and desire when it first starts to move toward the buzz saw of sin. They do not wait until it is moving so fast they cannot get off of it. Their aim is not to avoid sin, but temptation-the inclination to sin. They plan their path accordingly." From "Renovation of the Heart" By Dallas Willard - Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy.

God's WORD for YOU: 2 Chronicles 7-9; John 11:1-29

Think About This: Is it a small thing in your eyes to be loved by God - to be the son, the spouse, the love, the delight of the King of glory? Christian, believe this, and think about it: you will be eternally embraced in the arms of the love which was from everlasting, and will extend to everlasting - of the love which brought the Son of God's love from heaven to earth, from earth to the cross, from the cross to the grave, from the grave to glory - that love which was weary, hungry, tempted, scorned, scourged, buffeted, spat upon, crucified, pierced - which fasted, prayed, taught, healed, wept, sweated, bled, died. That love will eternally embrace you. -- Richard Baxter

No comments: