Monday, March 31, 2008

Child-Like Faith

CHILD-LIKE FAITH
"Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:4

Here is one of those interesting paradoxes of Scripture. We are to grow and mature in our faith, but we are also to retain child-like faith!

Kids view life so differently than we do as adults. Yesterday at church, Zach's Sunday School teacher challenged his class to make a list of unsaved friends and begin to pray for their salvation. Zach immediately commented that he didn't have any unsaved friends to pray for. When we got in the car he started asking who he should pray for. Jan and I gave him a few names and his comment to me later was, "Now I will pray that they will get saved." It was as simple as that.

How often do I have the faith of a child when I pray? Today we are having a day of prayer in regards to our finances at America's KESWICK. Unless God shows up, this could be the first time in 12 years that our staff will have to miss a payroll or we will need to borrow the money to meet payroll.

Last night I was placing the sign-up sheet on the counter at the Front Desk, and one of my staff guys (a graduate of the Colony) asked me what I was doing. His immediate response was, "Well let's start now and pray!" I wish you could have heard his prayer -- simple child-like faith that his great God is going to supply our needs this week!" I had chills going up and down my spine as he simply laid out his request to his Father.

This morning as I opened the Word to have my quiet time, the first verse on the page was this, "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19) Then I read these words: "If you are going through a difficult or confusing time, know that your Lord has gone BEFORE you and He is PRESENT with you. He is fully aware of what you are facing, and He is ACTIVELY responding to your need!" (Henry Blackaby)

Lord, today I need child-like faith to believe that You will meet our needs. I don't know HOW you will do it, but by faith, I am trusting you and taking you at Your Word. Thank You for sending blessing me with a friend like David Askildsen who has child-like faith. Give me that same faith today as we face this insurmountable challenge. Amen.

How about you? Do you have that child-like faith in YOUR Heavenly Father?

Today's Scripture: Judge 11-12; Luke 6:1-26

Think About This: "Jesus Christ is not my security AGAINST the storms of life, but He is my PERFECT security IN the storms. He has never promised me an easy passage, only a safe landing."

I have challenged our Board, staff and praying friends to take 15 minute blocks to pray today. If you'd like to join me in praying for our needs, send me the times you will pray and I will add you to the list. It will encourage our staff today.

No comments: