Saturday, November 17, 2007

Victory

VICTORY

I sat in a pastor's meeting recently. We were talking about living a life of victory. One of the pastors commented that he liked to talk more about obedience than victory. He wasn't discounting the promise of victory; he was making the point that obedience is evidence of victory.

As he went on explaining his thoughts, he said something that I've thought of several times in the last month. Some people, he said, will do the right thing because it's good for them and they don't want to suffer the shame and embarrassment of someone catching them. Some people will do the right thing because of concern for their family and friends-they don't want to bring grief or reproach on their loved ones. Ultimately, the pastor said, the people who really live their lives with consistent obedience are those who are concerned for God's reputation.

I look forward to getting with my pastor friend soon to discuss his thoughts. He's on to something, I think! If our view of God is as lofty as I think it should be, we'll make good choices out of concern for His reputation. All of us know that our sin (lack of victory and obedience) affects others. We don't live in isolation. How many of us consider how our sin, our wrong choices, affects God and His reputation in our world?

During the last month, I've faced temptation. I've had to make choices between right and wrong. Choosing the right thing because I fear exposure may keep me out of trouble. Choosing to do the right thing out of respect for my wife, kids and church family is admirable. As a man who wants to finish well, those motivations are less than best. I've thought often in the last month that my love for God must drive my choices and my desire to honor Him in every area of my life.

It's really as simple as 1 Corinthians 10:31: "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." The best possible way to live in freedom is to make the right choices for the right reason-the glory of God! (Pastor John Strain - First Baptist Toms River)

Great quote: "Christian, mark well this double paradox of the spiritual life; in ourselves we are weak even when we are strong; in Christ we are strong even when we are weak. Self-sufficiency is INSUFFICIENCY. Christ-sufficiency is ALL-SUFFICIENCY!" Dr. J. Sidlow Baxter

No comments: